Something not right w tube screammer or amp-Plz Help!

Started by jimbob, December 22, 2003, 11:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I finished and played the t screamer and it Rocks!! sounds great w my amp..however after about 5 min it starts to poop out on me i hit a string and the e string sounds like 3 octaves lower than lower and slowly but surely.. no more sound.. Is it my amp or effect..It it supposed to overdrive the tube amp so much that it would do that? I hope its not my new amp...I bought a Peavey triple xxx 60 watt all tube--great for rock..it has 3 chanels..clean- crunch--and ultra (more crunch) ..i have it set on ultra w the tube sreamer..The amp uses 12ax7's. Any idea wht might cause it to poop out after such a short time? It sounds great while its working..anything i dont know about the way these t screamers w w tube amps? It didnt sound very good w my old solid state..

after a few min it did the samething and stopped working..I opened the enclosure and moved wires around inside and it started working...I busted out the glue gun at that point and layed into it..hopefully thatll do it!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Marossy

Are you sure that you put all of the polarized caps in correctly? Maybe you have a polarized cap that is in backwards or something....

jimbob

turns out i did and fixed it..but like clock work the sound fizzles out after so many minutes..all looks ok..when i open the casing and touch underneath the board it turns back on again--as though i reset it somehow...hmmm...driving me insane! great sound though--for the limited time  its available..

any other ideas?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

aron

I wonder if it's a simple short somewhere??? Did it work perfectly out of the box?

jimbob

never tried it out side the box..could it have something to do w the 2 piece enclosure? I open it and touch beneath the board and it works again...hmmmm

jimbob

I just noticed that when i take the  9 v adapter out of the socket and put it back in it works again for a second then goes out again..like resets ..think my jrc4558 getting to hot and shutting off?

Peter Snowberg

If you have any chips or transistors getting hot, you have a problem. Most likely there's a short somewhere. Use your finger to find what get hot and study the circuit around that point.

Good luck, you'll get it!
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

Check it out all of the solder points. You may have a tiny little solder bridge that is causing a slight short that allows the circuit to work a little while until something overheats and cuts out. I've had something similar happen to me once or twice...

It sounds like you're just about to figure it out.  :wink: