SOLDANO AMPS AND PEDALS

Started by Sickened_Emotions, December 23, 2003, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/petemoore/000_0771.jpg
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/petemoore/000_0769.jpg
  Hopefully those will play, you can see how I used a reciever chassis, nice because it came with big, square holes in the top so I could make slots for the tube sockets, using the lipped edge of sheet metal for the 'other side' to mount to...
  This amp came out nice.
  I built another, REALLY NICE One...I have pics in EZ SHARE but can't get an uploading to photobucket...so you'll have to just imagine beautiful woods and workmanships, really cool wood 'tic/tac/toe "X"s' for speaker grilles etc.
  Too bad a forget how to / can't re-figure how to / photobucket won't let me / whatever....load the pics in photobucket.
  I can find the pic but can't get a number that photobucket likes in the browse box...I'll try some more I guess.
  Here it is, secret is use 'Select' ...lol...
  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/petemoore/000_0782-1.jpg
  Antique Pine Box [planed to 1/2'' - 5/8'' to be a little like an accoustic guitar body], has one Alnico Blue Celestion and a Fender S.Design concert speaker. 5e3 tube amp is in the MAX head cabinet, has 'one tube mix to both' knob..which reduces or grounds the input of one or the other of the output tubes and relates to about 7.5w - 15w output levels.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Top notch job on that amp el84.  :icon_cool:

el84

;D
Quote from: Basicaudio on December 06, 2006, 12:03:36 PM
Nice work there el84!
I like that blue tolex covering.

:D
Quote from: Paul Marossy on December 06, 2006, 03:22:13 PM
Top notch job on that amp el84.  :icon_cool:

Thank you veeeeery much !
It was a ..... long-hard-work. Make the double-side PCB is a very very fine job, if you don't aligne PERFECTLY the faces .... goodbye job    :icon_lol:

Bye

fikri

Quote from: el84 on December 07, 2006, 03:37:02 AM

Thank you veeeeery much !
It was a ..... long-hard-work. Make the double-side PCB is a very very fine job, if you don't aligne PERFECTLY the faces .... goodbye job    :icon_lol:

Bye

WHoaa !! Awesome el84 ! Beautifull !

I've built the SLO-100R :
http://fikri_ilyas.blogs.friendster.com/photos/slo100r/side.html

Daniel

Hi there,
I'm thinking about starting building tube stuff, and I'm thinking about starting with a nice tube pedal. After looking throw the internet I've found a few that could be the one, which are:
V-Twin
Real McTube II
Soldano Supercharger GTO

Of those 3, I thought that the last would be a really nice build after hearing some sound samples on the internet. This build is mainly to get used with tubes, so it shouldn't be too expensive and I'm not preoccupied with how long it will take.

My doubt is about its transformer. In the schematic it says it uses a Mercury Magnetics SP6400/230 PCH which Google's search only found 3 matches, but no good info.
The voltage to the cathode I thought about using DC and using a LM317 so I could adjust it to the 6.3v or 12v if in series. As it is only 2 12ax7 I think a 1A filament is enough right?
The main problem is about the B+. In the schematic it says that after the bridge I should get 345v. So i though about a 250VAC which will give me 353VDC but that will get lower when its connected to rest of the circuit right? how much is that loss? 8%?

This building is still just and idea. I draw this circuit in Multisim9 but I got a few problems that you guys might help.
First, without any signal on the input I got on the high side (B+) but i got only 0.9mA on the cathode (connected in parallel). shouldn't it be something around a lot  higher even though there's no signal on the input?
Another thing, when I tried to put a function generator on the input I got an error message saying "Timestep Too Small". Does anyone know what could it be?

I'm sorry about the long post, but these are a few doubts I have about it. I know that I still have to study a lot more about tubes, but a simples circuit like it should be a nice start ;p

BTW, I'm terribly sorry about the bad English =/

Daniel

No one?
At least, no one knows why i get that error on multsim 9? Cause not being able to monitor the output signal is REALLY boring... the only thing I can do is monitor the current (which i think i got some odd numbers) and voltage (which i got nice numbers ) I'm think that the model they use for the tubes doesn't have a few parameters that a real tube would have... got to check that =/

Well, any comments would be nice =]

MKB

If anyone wants a bit of the Soldano experience at a low price, you can buy a used Yamaha T50C or T100C amp.  These are tube amps made in the early nineties that were designed by Mike Soldano for Yamaha, and were built in Georgia; it actually has Soldano's name silkscreened on the back.  They are basically a SLO100 with a switchable tone control on the clean channel as well as reverb.  Also the transformers aren't nearly as good as in the SLO.  However the designs are very close, and you can even email Soldano's tech guys that will send you information on the amp, such as Soldano's suggested mods to the amp to correct what Yamaha changed.  I have used one of these for over a year now as my main gigging amp, and it is very nice indeed.  Gets you very close to the Soldano tone for very little money.  They pop up on ebay fairly frequently, one sold last week for $400.  I paid $325 for mine but it had a bad reverb transformer, easily fixed.  http://www.scottymoore.net/T100C.html

dan5150

Yea, this is an older thread, but I thought the information relevant.

I too am a HUGE fan of the Soldano High Gain tone, and I too can't afford a "real" Soldano amp. (Although I consider myself very fortunate to own a real Supercharger GTO, one of the last ones Mike built).

However, his latest project looks very promissing! Check out: http://www.jetcityamplification.com/.

The JCA20H is basically the Atomic 16. However, the JCA100H is NOT the SLO.

BubbaMc

The thing about the SLO is that it's built with extremely high quality components that drive the price up.  DeYoung make the stock transformers and will not sell them to the public, the best replacements for these are from O'netic.

Chassis, cabinets, transformers and all pots etc can be found at http://www.c3amps.com/

I'd budget around $1800 at least for a full head.

bancika

For people that don't need a full amp (like me) building only the preamp is also a good solution. I built the whole SLO with 5w output a year ago. Since I don't need the whole amp now I'm doing just the OD channel of the preamp. It's not very expensive to do...here's a pic

and the SLO5

cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

BubbaMc

Quote from: bancika on December 02, 2009, 07:46:43 AM
For people that don't need a full amp (like me) building only the preamp is also a good solution. I built the whole SLO with 5w output a year ago. Since I don't need the whole amp now I'm doing just the OD channel of the preamp. It's not very expensive to do...here's a pic

Nice work man  :o  Is the output instrument level or line level?

I bet it sounded awesome.

bancika

it's line level, I'll post sound clips and full build report when I debug one more issue.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here