Should I get an octave down?

Started by smoguzbenjamin, December 25, 2003, 01:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Hello!

I just got 120 euros from my folks for christmas, and there's a Boss OC-2 octave down pedal going for 65 euros at my local music shoppe :P

I checked out the sound samples on the boss website, and it sounds cool, it does 2 octave downs. One that's one octave below your guitar, and one that's 2 octaves below it and I think it rocks ASS! :D

Has anyone got any prior experience with this pedal? :P

Merry Christmas!
Ben
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

BillyJ

Get it. Not sure how much eoros are in dollars but I have this pedal and LOVE it. Tracks pretty dang well for an octave and it is VERY clean sounding. If I remeber right it is one that would also be pretty hard to build too so I think if your digging the sound go for it. Mixed with the right elements you can get some awesome sounds from it.

smoguzbenjamin

A euro is about $1,20 ;) And it's a Boss so I'm not even dreaming of building it, so :)

Ok, I'll be off to the store on saturday! :P

gez

The Dano Chili Dog is a lot cheaper and, though I haven't drawn up a schematic, looks to be a clone of the Boss OC2.  Ok, the housing is a bit flimsy, but it sounds really good.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

smoguzbenjamin

Danelectro? Naaah. I think the fact that it's a Boss makes a big difference, too. I'm a boss fan   :lol:

keko

A guitar teacher I once had used this pedal...I used it (algon with his dreamy pedalboard)...and was amazed. I didn´t expect it to be that nice, but it was clean, sharp, and fast.

I used to have a digitech multi effect back in 1997, and the Whammy it had didn't do as great a job as the OC-2 (of course a whammy is a much more complex pedal, allowing for up AND down overtones).

I'm also looking to get one for me, and the fact that most people don't think it is a great device, makes it very easy to get one used for pretty much nothing....off to the stores on saturday too.

Keko
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

smoguzbenjamin

What did he have on his pedalboard, keko? ;)

OC-2 it is :)

Scott M

I own a boss OC-2. I like the sound a lot, but be aware it only sounds good when you play one note at a time, and it does not respond well to string bending. If it is at your local store try it rather than using the boss website to judge the sound.

Ansil

i like the octave stuff. if you really want to have fun with it.  you can get a schematic for it.  and put in a filter in there so that only stuff that is above the d string goes to the second octave down. it makes a neat little trick when you do arpegios. i had a nice octave up unit. and i used a splitter and filters so that i got a certain octave pattern..

nothign below the D string would go to octave no. 2.  nothing above the B string would go to the octave up.  and it all had slight delays on everything includign the dry signal.  so i get like 20ms on the original unprocessed signal.  i get 10ms on the octave down.  30ms on the octave up and 40ms on the two octave down

smoguzbenjamin

Uhm, Ansil? I wanna keep this one whole ;)

I intended to go to the shop tomorrow and try it first, I always try pecdals before I buy them. :) God, tomorrow can't come quick enough :mrgreen:

I'm also going to get some jack plugs to solder back-to-back. No more irritating patch cables using space on my pedalboard! Now I can fit 10 or more pedals in there! Except my wah, it's too big :mrgreen:

aron

Quote from: gezThe Dano Chili Dog is a lot cheaper and, though I haven't drawn up a schematic, looks to be a clone of the Boss OC2.  Ok, the housing is a bit flimsy, but it sounds really good.

The Chili Dog is fantastic.

It was so good, even my father had to have one  :D

gez

Quote from: aronThe Chili Dog is fantastic.

It was so good, even my father had to have one  :D

There speaks a man of taste!  :D

I cracked mine open a few weeks ago and had a quick look around.  Judging by the number of ICs (and the type) it seems to be a copy of the OC2.  Personally, I think it's better.   Perhaps the surface mount stuff has some mojo to it, though more likely it's just the more modern chips they've used (seem to be a little more efficient/quieter).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

smoguzbenjamin

Oh well... If the OC-2 is honey to my ears tomorrow it'll have it's place on my board anyway, because I have almost all boss pedals. Makes it easier to use my back-to-back jack plugs to connect them with minimal space wasted :)

I love guitar FX. :mrgreen: Thank you whoever thought of making guitars sound cooler by making it sound completely different! :roll:

Hey if I get it I'll be putting an article on it on my site! :)

smoguzbenjamin

I bought the OC-2. It rocks ass!! :D :D :D :D