Smallbear's plastic PCB mounts.

Started by bobbletrox, December 27, 2003, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbletrox

Hey!  My first ever PCB turned out perfect.  I bought a pack from a local electronics store that had a couple of small pre-sensitized boards and a small ziplock bag of developer powder for AU$9.00 and it worked great!  But I digress...

It just occoured to me that I don't know how big to drill the mounting holes on the PCB.  I've got some of Smallbear's plastic PCB mounts coming in the mail, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how big the mounting holes need to be for them.

Thanks!

Hal

haha I think I'm having the same problem.  Before placing my smallbear order I said 'Dad, do you have any really small drill bits?"
and apparently the layout I used needs smaller than 1/16", which is the smallest that my dad has, and the smallest home depot has :(.

I hear you need about .8 mm, which you can order from digikey, since now steve is on vacation.  I think I gotta do that soon....

www.digikey.com

nightingale

hello~
i think he's speaking of the "stand-off's"... i use a 3/16...(but sort of stir it around a little)...

also, it depends where you want the board to set on the standoff... if i want it to go to the bottom i twill very gently use a 7/32 bit... but the 3/16 keeps it higher on the posts so you can stay above pots, and leds mounted underneath the board...
hope this isn't too confusing!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bobbletrox

Quote from: nightingalestand-off's

Oh yeah -THAT'S what they're called *doh*  Thanks for the drill bit sizes!  :wink:

dubs

Quote from: bobbletroxHey!  My first ever PCB turned out perfect.  I bought a pack from a local electronics store that had a couple of small pre-sensitized boards and a small ziplock bag of developer powder for AU$9.00 and it worked great!  But I digress...

It just occoured to me that I don't know how big to drill the mounting holes on the PCB.  I've got some of Smallbear's plastic PCB mounts coming in the mail, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how big the mounting holes need to be for them.

Thanks!

You can buy adhesive standoffs from jaycar which I use to mount my pcbs. You  drill a 4mm mounting hole.

bobbletrox

Quote from: dubsYou can buy adhesive standoffs from jaycar which I use to mount my pcbs. You  drill a 4mm mounting hole.

Thanks!  I just looked 'em up on their website.  They look like the way to go.

Hal

ahhhh I usually just throw the board in the box :-D

j.k.

but I mount the board on some random piece of bent metal, nothing professional so yea, I had no idea what he was talking about :-D :-D :-D

Kilby

I'm too cheap and lazy to buy those, I borrow my kids fimo modeling stuff and make my own standoffs.

A notch in the column of fimo to hold the board, and a dab of "No more nails" to hold the fimo to the bottom of the box.

jsleep

hmmmm, it is my experience that the self-stick stand-offs that small bear sells take a 5/32 inch hole on the boards.  snaps right in, perfect fit.  BTW mouser sells them in all different lengths, so you can get above the pots or whatever by just getting longer ones.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

downweverything

yeah i use those standoffs too, 5/32 bit works perfect for me

ExpAnonColin

You can also use hot glue for standoff, I've never done it though.  Wouldn't it be fun to finish a pedal and know you're done forever and just fill the insides with hot glue so nothing bad happens to it?  That's a dream of mine.

-Colin

downweverything

yeah i like the hot glue idea, seems fun.  i once thought of just dipping the circuit in that liquid rubber stuff for the handles of tools. :D