need help with my fuzz face!!!

Started by morthek, December 28, 2003, 08:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morthek

I done this fx pedal just like is said here ( http://www33.brinkster.com/mkzstompbox/esquemas.asp?escolha=fuzzfacenpn ) . this is a NPN trasistors Fuzz Face , it is almost good , the volume level is ok, the true bypass is ok, but the fuzz pot is not. it only work if the fuzz is turned on max position , if doesn´t no sound is presented. (and when is almost at max position a very distorted sound that goes alway very fast is presented)

can anyone help me?  sorry for the bad english
Thanks

petemoore

I use trimpot on Q2's collector for biasing.
 manythings like transistor orientation and stuff before debugging and tuning can occur.
 Sounds like if not a miswire or transistor pinout prob it is probably biasing.
 If you have a meter take readings between ground and each of Q1 and Q2's pins [the collector emitter and base readings]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

morthek

forgot to tell. i have mounted a log pot in the of the linear pot that the schema said .... it is not the problem, is it?

javacody

Shouldn't be, you just need to get those transistors biased properly.  Do what petemoore suggested, and I bet you'll be up and running in no time.

morthek

i don´t know if i have done it right but here is the values:

Q1:   E: 0 (the meter dont even move)
       B: 35
       C: 145
Q2:   E: 105
       B: 145
       C: 155

i´ve used a analog metter so i dont know i if did it right, i´ve select "DC V 2.5" and the scale could be 5 , 1 or 0.2 .. so where is 35 it possible be 7 or even 1.4

morthek

petemoore

Of trying to explain how to read an analog meter...[tricky at best..]
 Ill suggest this as a way to get by in this case [ and others] without having to get the DMM
 Take two equal value resistors and form a voltage divider [say two 10k  [or two 100k...] series them, connect them across the battery you're using, then test the Voltage between one of the battery contacts and the connection of the two resistors [should read very close to half of what the battery's voltage is]...then whatever you get on the meter measuring between Q2's collector and ckt ground should look very close to 1/2 of your battery:about 4.5v, or half of the battery voltage...

morthek

what hapens if the middle wire of the fuzz put isnt working? there should be no sound at all?

petemoore

The only times I've noticed FF's actually work is when everything is just as it should be accroding to the schematic [or very close]
 I can't stress enough how great the reads are aroundjust a few clicks [one] close to here...they do a better job of explaining thiss cktss FF than I can draft easily or at all...I am daunted by the amount of usable and complex [sometimes complex to the point of skimreading parts of it].
  I don't want to recommend just one site [inappropriate] there are so manyinteresting  'takes' on this thing.
  I would say for a first one that will work great [knkwood] use a schematic that looks like you can understand and the literature that accompaies it
  Basically understanding everything about a FF helps to build a FF, or any other ckt.
  Oh DMM... these FF's can be cruel however I did manage to get one going with a voltmeter....

morthek

Ok. now i got an DMM.. i have mettered the battery and it showed 9.3( shoul be 9?)
here is the readings:
Q1: E - 0
     B - 0,61
     C - 1,42
Q2: E - 0,78
     B - 1,42
     C - 1,71

its ok?

petemoore

at around 1/2 V of battery...
 try the articlees

Gary

morthek,

Reduce the value of the resistor going from V+ to the second transistor's collector.  You want to have about 4.5V on the second transistor's collector, if you are using a 9V battery.  Keep trying different values until you get as close to 4.5V as possible.  If you have an 8k2 resistor there, try a 5k6 or 6k2.  That should get you close.  As I said before, adjust until you get as close to 4.5V as you can when using a 9V battery.

morthek

i finnaly understand what was wrong, sorry about the silly questions, but i am very novice in electronics ,but i wont give up   :D