Tone Machine help needed! -No output at all.

Started by bobbletrox, December 29, 2003, 12:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbletrox

so I made up the tone machine using the PCB layout on GGG and hooked it all up n' all...except there's no output!  Even when it's bypassed.

I don't even know where to start looking for the problem.  Although, one strange thing I noticed was that the 4M7 resistor was'nt giving a reading on my multimeter, so I took it out and it magically gave a reading!  So I replaced it with another pre-checked one just to be safe...and it didn't give a reading after I'd soldered it in either!  I checked a few other resistors on the PCB and they gave the correct reading first time.   :shock:

So yar, I don't know if it's this weird resistor's fault, or if it's something else all togher.  Where do I start troubleshooting this thing?  :cry:

bobbletrox

This is weirding me out...

I checked the transistor voltages against the one's JD states, and this is what I got.

Q1:
JD's   = C: 2.22 B: 0.73 E: 0.16
Mine= C: 2.53 B: 0.51 E: 0.02

Q2:
JD's   = C: 7.5 B: 2.2 E: 1.6
Mine= C: 7.4 B: 2.5 E: 1.9

Q3:
JD's   = C: 7.28 B: 0.78 E: 0.21
Mine= C: 8.07 B: 0.63 E: 0.09

Q4:
JD's   = C: 7.63 B: 0.84 E: 0.26
Mine= C: 8.44 B: 0.36 E: 0.07

I'm using 2N2222A's instead of 2N3565's -but the voltages are still ok...right?

What's weird is that you'd expect at least SOME sound to come out of it.

bobbletrox

Arg!  Doesn't the Base have to be at least .5v higher than the Emitter for the transistor to work?  Does that mean that Q4 (and possibly Q1) needs replacing?  :shock:

nightingale

b~
i would recheck your wiring... does your  input jack  "crackle" when you touch it to the cable coming from your guitar... while the effects output jack is connected to your hot amp?
this is a good way to check your switch, jack wiring sometimes...
hope this helps,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bobbletrox

Yeah, it does actually.  It crackles feintly.

rx5

try rechecking the 4.7K, 47K and 470K resistors...maybe you swapped a 4.7K to a 47K ...try the last output stage... :)
BE d Bezt, Urz D Rezt... RoCk ON!!!