stompbox DIY brotherhood...

Started by nightingale, December 29, 2003, 07:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightingale

hello~
i was in a local electonics supply in denver the other day...(fistells)... when i was in line waiting to pay... i could not help from looking over this cat's shoulder, and seeing one of JD's fox tonemachine BOM/layouts...
so i had to tell him i was very familiar with the DIY sites... and have been into it for almost 2yr... he seemd pretty timid but polite, and i don't think there are any other registered forum users from denver area. but it gave me a pretty good feeling to cross paths with another DIY cult member anyway...
`
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Samuel

I met Greg Moss from this board last night. Such a nice guy!

LP Hovercraft

I live in Denver too.  Fistell's rocks-a museum as well as a store and a junk heap (dig the Gammamatic by the back door!-danger!).  They're good people.  What kind of effects do you build?

nightingale

very cool~
i just got back from fistells... i live at 6th and speer, so i have to go there sometimes when i'm in a pinch... i just picked up some schottkeys to test my new rambler(octave) layout i am making...

QuoteWhat kind of effects do you build?
i used to be obsessed with fuzz... i probably built/breadboarded every old fuzz circuit i could find... searching for the secret fuzz...lol!
but now i'm way more into modulation type effects... i play in a band called:(nightingale)... we are a modern psychedelic band... along the ranks of "black rebel motorcyle club"... or "brian jonetown masacre"... just to give you an idea... i have built some nice sounding tremelo, and repeat percussion type circuits... but i am now looking into replacing the delays on my board with a rebote 2, and a pt-80... too bad smallbear is closed for a bit... :(  i can't get the cips i need...

do you mail order most of your parts?
i looked over some of your posts... it looks like you have a pretty good understsanding of modulation type effects... i would be cool to chat it up some day...
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

LP Hovercraft

That's really cool.  I play drums with an outfit called the New Ancient Astronauts.  We are space-rock (Hawkwind,Early Pink Floyd meets jazz fusion with some Melvins-type heaviness thrown in).  I play guitar,bass and keys too, but I am a lot better at drums.  
I, too have made a lot of fuzzes (Bosstone, Big Muff, Rocket, Brown Sound (OK, overdrive), Fuzz Face, etc...), my favorite being the Interfax Harmonic Percolator-with one of the original 2N404A transistors (I believe Fistells has 'em.)  I've made a couple of boosters.  I just finished a SansAmp GT-2 with the layout from TonePad and am loving it.  Moosapotamus' Acoustic 360 build also kicks ass.  Did you say you were making an Ampeg Scrambler?  

I have done a couple of filters and Ring Mods.  I am about to make some phasers (Anderton, MXR Phase 90, Ross)  Havent done a delay and would love to check out yours.  I've only been doing this for about a year and a half, though, and I still consider myself pretty green to this swell hobby.   I, too, perfboard my projects.   I used to order from Mouser a lot after Gateway closed its doors-I like mouser's box selection.  For smaller boxes, I've gotten them from Bruce at Mission Amps up in Arvada (missionamps.com) , I've even scored cool boxes from Fistells, I've even used the Radio Shack boxes that you see in EPFM- They're actually pretty solid as log as you dont back your car over 'em.    

It would be cool to chat some more with a knowledgeble person like yourself.  My circle of friends think I am speaking Chinese when I go off on the technology of good tone.  Cheers!

nightingale

lp~
i'm out of town right now... but i will send you a PM wen i get back into the 303 area... maybe we can grab some coffee, and nerd out a little...lol!
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com