building effects pedals in pipes?

Started by sfr, August 27, 2003, 02:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I came across some short lengths of large diameter pipe the other day - the largest almost the diameter of a CD - I was looking at it, and thinking of cutting them into 2 or 3 inch lengths to make short little round pedals - it seems like there's enough room to fit some smaller boards in there.  The problem. of course, is then covering the ends.  I was thinking of cutting some sheet metal or something like that to the diameter of the outside of the pipe, so there's a bit of a lip, and then running a long sort of bolt through it, or maybe one of those things where you have screws on both sides that tighten - you know what i mean - to hold the two ends on by the tension pulling them together.  But you all seem to be the most inventive folk i've run across, I thought I'd ask if y'all had any other ideas - i don't really like the idea of running a bolt down the middle because it could limit the space inside for parts - (althought I guess I could cut a hole in the board and run it through that and then map parts around it?  hrm - I could even suspend the board by nuts to the bolt, and maybe even use it as my ground point?)

but anyway, any ideas?  does the whole thing sound silly?

oh, and thanks for being so nice to a rude newbie like me who just comes in and starts asking questions.  I've been reading for a while, and i hafta say, the folks on this board are great.  (The responses to Benjamins post prove that as well, too)
sent from my orbital space station.

Spaceshot

I built a few rangemasters in some pipe with really big washers on the ends.  Was very cheap, but dangerous!  Makes ya really appreciate aluminum!  I don't know what those washers are made of, but with such an awkward clamping surface and not the best tools I almost really hurt myself three times..

petemoore59

on the inside and outside [maybe put some 'grab tabs' by cutting the top and bending little tabe down to touch the pipes sides for better adhesion.  I should think this would work as long as the top itself has stiffness to withstand pressures [any flexing and the bondo could shear off].

runmikeyrun

I built a distortion circuit inside some pipe from Home Depot.  Reminded me of my younger days when i would have been filling them with gunpowder...

Sturdy as heck, shielded, fairly cheap, and easy to work on.  I built my circuit on a small sized pcb from Small Bear and siliconed it inside.  Drilled holes for the pots and switch, and rivited a metal battery clip in it.  Just use carbide tipped drill bits, that thing is hard on normal bits!  To stabilize it for use on the floor, i tapped holes into the bottom and screwed some bolts in there and used a nut on the outside to lock them.  A great enclosure, although i wouldn't recommend taking it on an airplane.  

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Jim Jones

That's the coolest-looking enclosure I think I've ever seen!!!  (The airplane advice is very good as well.)  :)

Jim

Peter Snowberg

LOL!!  :)

That's a good way to end up getting reported to the Dept. of Homeland Security these days. Stroll up to the counter with a couple caps and a small threaded section, or better yet, a hand basket full in a perfect 2:1 ratio, and some carbide bits, and watch the faces of the next people in line. :D Since your at the hardware store, it's a good time to pick up some fertilizer too... Treat your lawn right.

Excellent enclosure! Bomb proof, cheap, 100% RF shielding... Nice!!!!!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Marossy

I love the pipe bomb look. It's the bomb! No pun intended. :)

Mike Nichting

Those bombs are so cool~!!! Awesome idea guys~!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

ExpAnonColin

So you're the one with the pipe bomb pedal and the sponge bob one.  I was wondering who the crazy guy was...

I was also thinking of doing pipe style enclosures.. I'm running low on different enclosure shapes.

runmikeyrun

ahh yes, the crazy one... one in every group!!

I'm trying to work some projects into some old Civil defense geiger counters they have at work.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Phorhas

You should put some duct tape and an alarm clock to perfect the pipe-bomb-ish look

:wink:
Electron Pusher

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There were some crazy fx in Nuts&Volts mag years ago, built in beer cans, with jacks in the ends. The idea was, you rolled them around & a dangling magnet moved past a hall effect sensor instead of a pedal. I am not making this up..

mountianjustice

Yes i know its an old thread, but ive got a solution to SFR's problem. Do you own a jigsaw? You could cut plugs from plywood and put them on the inside of the pipe secured from the outside through the pipe into the plywood. Only issue is the thickness of the plywood you would need long shaft pots not sure how you would finagle that into the mix. I don't think they make a long shaft stomp switch, but i may be wrong. You could even use solid wood and make them "purdy" Another idea as i type try to find a metal coffee can or something that fits over or into the pipe snugly cut it about an inch long saving the bottom, flip it over and go to town on it.