This is what you get when you disrespect the soldering iron!

Started by smoguzbenjamin, January 01, 2004, 07:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

2nd degree burns! :evil:

I was unplugging my pencil-type soldering iron and the plug wouldn't come out and I had the soldering iron in one hand and decided to hold the socket with my left hand. Too bad the iron was also in my left hand. It only touched my wrist for half a second but my right wrist has a deep red burn on it. :x painful!

Now people keep asking me if I'm suicidal :roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

zener

Ouch! :x  That is indeed painful. Keep on putting any cold rub like petroleum jelly or even toothpaste on the burnt area. Getting a burn from a soldering iron happened to me as early when I was a child and fixing my toy robot. Recently, I wasn't looking and accidentally held the hot iron instead of the plastic handle because the iron turned 180 deg because of the twisted wire.

A soldering iron stand is one good way of preventing this.

Zener
Oh yeah!

smoguzbenjamin

I was holding it because it kept sliding off the useless stand that came with it :) lol. I ran the wound under cold water for half an hour, it's just an ugly red patch now, doesn't hurt unless you touch it so I guess I was lucky :)

Luke

Hi guys,
Smoguzbenjamin, have you tried Aloe verea (cant remember the correct spelling; I just typed it phonetically instead). It is good on burns, stops scarring (but smells yuck)
Hope this helps a bte
Cheers,
Luke

smoguzbenjamin

Actually, I have a tube of that lying around but I was wondering what it was for :) Cheers Luke!

I'll have that lying on my workbench in case of future burns, lol.

javacody

Better yet, grow your own, it'll brighten up your workbench and if you get a burn, just snap off a piece and squeeze some on. Can you get aloe vera plants in Europe? My mom has like 10 of them here in the states, which is where I learned it, of course.

smoguzbenjamin

Haha, you obviously have not seen my workbench :) I'm running out of space as it is! :) My 10W practice amp up on top, then my breadboard and schematic of the project I'm working on... with the mess I create, that's barely enough room... :) But thanks for the idea

PS: I think I should be able to buy an aloe vera plant... :roll: never really looked.

Mike Nichting

That reminds me of the time I was etctching a PCB and had my stirring knife on the stove burner for about a half hour. When I went to pick it up to stir the PCB.....OUCH~!!!!!!! and to the hospital I went.

Be careful bro and I hope yopu heal fast. Yes, ALOE is the bomb for burns and so is neosporin.

Best of luck

Mike N.
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

Ansil

Quote from: javacodyBetter yet, grow your own, it'll brighten up your workbench and if you get a burn, just snap off a piece and squeeze some on. Can you get aloe vera plants in Europe? My mom has like 10 of them here in the states, which is where I learned it, of course.

this stuff is a godsend my mom had a ton of these just for me.. growing up. lol

smoguzbenjamin

It's a good thing I pulled away quick, that limited the damage I think :) Thanks for the great idea, I'm gonna look for a plant today if I can get through the snow. Gonna buy an enclosure today anyway :)

:roll: If I can get through the snow without falling off my bike :)

jimbob

As disturbing as it may seem, hemmoroid medicine work well for burns as well ( if u have nothing else?) Home remedies are a hoot! Hahaha Serious though.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

smoguzbenjamin

Hemmoroid? Rings a bell, but I've forgotten what it is. :roll: Doesn't sound good though... :roll: