smoking diodes

Started by dan, January 02, 2004, 04:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan

i built a milenium 1 board and tested it with the fx circuit and switch and all that. when i turned it on the diode lit up and started smoking. i don't think the led turned on but i'm not sure because i turned it off imediatly. i think this means i had the diode in backwards but i wasn't sure so i thought i'd ask.
-Dan

smoguzbenjamin

The LED started smoking? Then you pumped too much current through it! Use a higher limiting resistor ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

dan

no, just a regular silicon diode...at least i think it's silicon. it's kind of gold looking with one black stip on one end whick i tock to be the positive end. maybe i'm confused on the diode schematics. is it like this?:

negative---|<|--------positive
[/code][/quote]
-Dan

Rick

Usually the black stripe on a diode is the cathode (negative).  I have seen some 1n914s with a confusing red stripe very close to one end. When in doubt use your meter and mark the diode with a felt pen. Btw what sort of power supply are you using. 9v I hope , just curious as I haven't smoked a diode as yet, but i'm willing to try it if it gives a good buzz!

dan

ok, i should of done that, thanks. that's the problem
-Dan

bwanasonic

Quote from: Rickjust curious as I haven't smoked a diode as yet, but i'm willing to try it if it gives a good buzz!

Don't bogart that diode my friend...

Kerry M