OT - IE6 problem, need help....

Started by Paul Marossy, January 02, 2004, 09:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

OK, this is weird, but here goes...

I know, I am still in the dark ages, running on Windows 98 and all.
But, anyhow, I have IE6 installed on it, but recently, the text displayed on the screen when I'm on the net has increased so that many times the text displayed looks huge compared to how it displayed before. I know that the sites haven't changed, other sites look fine. All of my sites that I uploaded looked one way one night, and I came back to them the next day, and all the text looked very large all of the sudden. So I went and changed all of the pages so that the fonts looked right, but then noticed that other sites looked wrong, too...

Anyone ever had this problem? It just suddenly happened. I ran my virus program and it found nothing. I tried reloading IE6, but still no go. The only thing I can think of is that my font files have been corrupted somehow... but it doesn't appear to be confined to any one kind of font. Could all of the font files get corrupted at once? I can't find any Windows setting that would control the size of the font, except for the desktop.

Anyone?!?  :?

bwanasonic

I think you may be able to change text size with the ctrl +/- keys. Try it now- hold down ctrl and press + or -

Kerry M

smoguzbenjamin

Right click on your desktop, select properties. Then go to the 'settings' tab, and click on advanced. Try selecting 'small fonts' in the 'general' menu, if that's not selected allready. It does change the appearance of windows a bit though :?

By the way that's on win2000 so the menus might be arranged differently, but in any case you'll be looking in the right place. Or was that what you had allready tried? Try looking in the IE options menu, that sometimes helps ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Paul Marossy

The +/- pluc ctrl key thing doesn't work for me.

I already looked at the font sizes in my desktop, and it's still set to small.

Internet explorer will allow you to change the fonts displayed, but not their size.

Any other ideas?

javacody

Yes, you can change your font sizes in the view menu under IE.

Click view->Text Size->Smallest

Or set it to your preference. If that still doesn't work, there are a couple of other settings we can change in IE.

Paul Marossy

Oh boy do I ever feel stupid!  :oops:
All this time I have been using IE I never knew about that...

Thanks java. Do you what the default setting is? I assume it would be medium...

smoguzbenjamin

My IE 6 is on medium and it looks fine to me ;) I didn't know about that either, you're not alone, paul! :P

javacody

Default is medium, but if you change your windows font size and/or change other settings, it throws everything off. The window's font system is fickle at best.   :D

Paul Marossy

"The window's font system is fickle at best."

Ain't that the truth?  :roll:

smoguzbenjamin

Later on when Star trek becomes reality we'll have dialogs like:

QuoteWe've analyzed the code captain! It's something called 'Windows'.

Windows? Wasn't that the rubbish unstable OS from the 20th century?

Yes captain.

Well let's get rid of it then...

Or something similar 8)

javacody

Yeah right, in the Start Trek world, Microsoft would be the borg, and we would already be assimilated.

Paul Marossy

"Yeah right, in the Start Trek world, Microsoft would be the borg, and we would already be assimilated."

Not me. I am Data, I'm just fakin' it.  :wink:

smoguzbenjamin

I must watch more star trek. I'm having withdrawal symptoms... :roll: But then I'd get withdrawal symptoms from stompboxes! Aaargh! My life is doomed! :o