1n4001 replacement

Started by saxtim, January 03, 2004, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxtim

I was thinking about trying a pair of these diodes in some distortion devices after several people here mentioned it as sounding good.  Only problem is that neither of my local electronics stores carry this part.  They have 1n4004s and 1n4007s - I believe these are more or less the same but w/different voltage and current specs.

Could I sub a 1n4004 for 1n4001 and expect it to sound the same?  Or will the different current/voltage ratings make it sound different?

tim

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: saxtimCould I sub a 1n4004 for 1n4001 and expect it to sound the same?  Or will the different current/voltage ratings make it sound different?
tim

Yes, and yes. I would expect it to sound much the same.
But, maybe a little bit different.
This is why God gave us sockets..
and old modems & TV sets that we can rip diodes from. Go fer it.

javacody

RG mentions these diodes in his Technology of the Tubescreamer article. He doesn't list a specific one, when he speaks of them he says any in the 1n400x range (this is from memory, I haven't read the article for over a year).

Nasse

Just a guess that differences between 4001 and 4003 or 7 may be less than different manufacturers 4001s. And in certain circuits 400x and 4148/914 may sound same
  • SUPPORTER