tube driver PBC from GGG

Started by 549, January 04, 2004, 02:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm confuse and need to know .
If it's AC. Can I use 12vdc adaptor replace it??
or I must use 12.6vac tranformer only?

downweverything

the 12.6 V is AC.  the key to solving this question was the transformer which dont pass DC very well or at all.  however after that point the AC is rectified via D3 and D4 and filtered via the following caps and such making V+ and V- a DC voltage.

downweverything

im not sure that a DC wallwart would work with this circuit. to me it looks like one of the diodes keeps only the positive half of the AC while the other half only keeps the negative half, then they are both filtered to make a bipolar DC.  if you used a DC wallwart i dont think V- would come out right because there wouldnt be a negative half cycle from the DC.  but this is just my quick inspection, a confirmation would be nice.  there are other ways to get bipolar from a DC source but im not sure this way would work with DC. :D AC walwart should work fine.

Jered

It says right on the parts list page, its DC
 Jered

downweverything

where do you see that at.  i only see it says DC input jack. it doesnt say DC wallwart.  i think it might mean to use a dc jack for an AC wallwart.  the way i looked at the circuit (which could be wrong) im not seeing a bipolar supply result happening with a DC input.

jsleep

I'll need to correct the parts list.  It shouldn't have the dc jack listed.  I'm working on this project, so I hope to have some much improved information very soon.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

BillyJ

I don't want to confuse the situation at all but a few months ago I had to replace a power supply on a  tubedriver (floor model with 4 knobs).
I forget who directed me to the man but I ended up writing to the man who designed it (not BK butler... the other guy) after I told him about the unit I had he recommended this power suplly with a center tap.
http://www.buycondor.com/catalog/detailac.cfm?ID=270
I do not know that this is the one needed for the project at JDs so I can't tell you for sure this is what you need but it may be.
I take no responsibility for the use of this information!
It is presented only as reference!!!
Best of luck!

jsleep

I found the same recommendation from Chandler (they dont make Tube Driver any more).  I'm getting a _lot_ of noise with this condor ps on a Chandler Tube Driver, about the same level has I'm having on my DIY version.  I'm still looking into it.  Might be tube related too.

BillyJ

Hmmmm. Might be a tube issue I don't know. The one I worked on didn't have much noise that wasn't expected from. I have to say though I didn't really dig it too much. I mean it has a tube but it seems to lack something...

Hairston

It looks like the AC power is really only needed to power the filaments of the tubes (pins 4 & 5 as on JD's schematic). It is actually possible to power this circuit with wallwart 12VDC power supply (if it can handle the load).

On a 12AX7 tube, pins 4 & 5 are used when you want to power the filaments with a 6.3V-12V AC power supply. If you wish to power the tube filaments with a 12VDC power source, you must short pins 4 & 5 together, connect it to a +12V source, and connect pin 9 to ground. I may have this backwards, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this helps!
- HB

jsleep

Yeah,  I've got 2 very nice Tube Drivers (one Chandler & one Tube Works)on loan from a kind, new internet friend.  I haven't found either to my liking as of yet.  Maybe I just haven't found the right settings yet.  I'm still playing with them whenever I get a chance so maybe I'll find them likable eventually.

JD

tonepoet

For what it's worth, the original Chandler's wall wart said: 120v,60hz,15w input, 24vac@6va output (I'm an idiot about this kind of thing, I just went by recommendation). The one from Condor is a reference from Chandler, I had asked them and was sent the spec sheet for it. They had plenty of other people asking about it. I sent the ones to JD, the Chandler had been in storage for a long time, about 6 years. Don't know if that's a contributing factor or not (only 220 handmade power supply was on it, I got tired of carry a transformer to the gigs). I believe the tube is either a Sovtek super high gain tube or a Mesa Boogie 12ax7, I've changed them numerous times. I can't remember getting so much noise, then again, I would stomp the pedal and just go for it. I always used a TC Sustain in front of it (I was trying to be Eric Johnson, ha!) and the noise level was pretty much managable. Hmmmm...............The Chandler definitely has a sweet spot, though, it took me a while to dial it in but when I did, oh yes!
Check out my SOUNDCLIPS
Open 24 hours a day!