Transistor questions...

Started by MAXIMUS, January 08, 2004, 12:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAXIMUS

Hey! I was just wondering if transistors were like resistors and caps in the respect that they are "value sensitive" (they have specific values like pF or Ohms that set them apart from others) or do they all do the same basic thing, like a switch. Sorry if this sounds basic. Im a newb... Thanks!

Leftrights

I might not be the best person to answer this but here's what I think I know...  They don't have any one specific value attached to them that defines them.  However they are not all the same.  Some are used as swiches, some as amplifiers, some deal with large signals and some with small.  They are also made of different materials that further affects the way that they preform.  

There is really quite a bit too them, but if you want to know what kind you are dealing with, you can just look up the data sheet somewhere, there should be enough pertinant information in the title (ie small signal amplifier transitor)  to give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

R.G.

Basic questions are good.

Transistors have a whole slew of characteristics that separate them from one another.

The first ones to look at are:
BVceo - breakdown voltage from collector to emitter, base open. This sets a limit on how much power supply voltage you can use. With effects, we hit it lucky most times, as almost every device is more than 9V, but you do have to know this in general.
HFE, hfe, current gain, or beta - this is how much current flows in the collector for each unit of curren that flows in the base lead. Most circuits are designed to minimize the dependency on hfe because it varies hugely. Generally, if you have enough current gain, you're OK.
frequency response (often expressed as Ft) - again we usually hit it lucky. Almost every transistor is faster than we need.
Power handling - transistors heat up from the currents flowing in them. The transistor needs to be able to get rid of the heat or it will - literally - melt. Most effects-use transistors are very small power, thankfully.

In general if you just get enough BVceo, hfe, and power rating, the transistor will work. This leads to Keen's Second Law: When in doubt, use a 2N5088. The 2N5088 can be used in almost every NPN bipolar position in making effects.

These are broad generalizations, of course, and the detailed study of transistor characteristics is a long path.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.