OT - Boss footswitch FS-5U/FS-5L

Started by ilhamfs, January 08, 2004, 08:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilhamfs

hi,
sorry for being OT but i need schematics for boss FS-5U and FS-5L footswitch.
is there anybody who has those schematics or have link to them?
just want to build a couple for my friend's multi effect.

thanks

Marek

I'm interested in that, too.

At first I thought those were simple "TIP to GND" switches inside, but somehow they're not that simple, since you can select all kinds of stuff with them, not only 'start - stop'  thing (e.g. on a drum machine ).

Anybody knows anything about these? Or has one and is willing to open it up and take a look inside?

Thanks,
Marek

stinkfoot

Actually, they are that simple. They both switch the tip (of the output jack) to ground, but in different ways.

The FS-5U is an unlatching/momentary switch, with a "polarity" selector that lets you choose between normally open or normally closed operation (press the switch down to either make or break the tip->ground connection).

The FS-5L is the same, but with a latching switch instead (and obviously without the polarity selector).

/Andreas

casey

yup, that's right.  i made one for a friend of mine.....he had a dd-5
that he needed to tap tempo......
Casey Campbell

ilhamfs

you mean as simple as this (for normally open) ?

is there any circuit that can turn a normally open switch to a normally close switch?
and how about led in FS-5L/5U? any idea to add a led in the foot switch?

stinkfoot

Quote from: ilhamfsyou mean as simple as this (for normally open) ?
Yup, that's all you need. A normally open SPST switch will do the trick here. A momentary SPDT in resting position will have one open and one closed throw (outer soldering lugs), in relation to the center pole, so if you use one of those you'll have to test which throw does what.

Quoteis there any circuit that can turn a normally open switch to a normally close switch?
I know there is, but not off the top of my head... :) You should be able to cook something up with a momentary SPDT switch and another switch (latching SPDT or DPDT - I'll have to think about that) to select which one of the main switch's two throws to allow into the circuit. With a pen and paper, I could sketch it out rather quickly, but for a computer sketch you'll have to give me some time to make it readable. I suck at drawing with the mouse. Or, rather, I suck at drawing, period, but I'm even worse with the mouse... Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a drawing, before I make a fool of myself. ;)

Quoteand how about led in FS-5L/5U? any idea to add a led in the foot switch?
Easy - just use a DPDT switch, and use the second pole to switch the LED in/out. You'd need some sort of power supply for the LED, though. In some amp footswitch circuits, there's enough control voltage sent to the footswitch, to allow you to use that to drive the LED. In that case, the LED is just inserted in series with the circuit, and it will light up when the circuit is closed.

/Andreas

stinkfoot

This should work:

The left switch is a simple SPST [on-on] toggle switch, and the one on the right is a SPDT [on-(on)] momentary stomp switch, shown in resting position.

/Andreas

smoguzbenjamin

Cool. That's pretty smart. I gotta make a pedal to use that :D But wouldn't adding a LED in the control voltage path create a voltage drop?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

stinkfoot

Yes, it would, so it will not work with any amp. Still, the footswitches to many amps are wired this way (the simpler Mesa switches, for instance), so it might. I guess the only way to find out if it'll work with your amp is to try it.

Just checking - we are talking about latching channel switches now, right (and not the one in the diagram above)?

Incidentally, I'm about to build a channel/reverb footswitch (preferably with LEDs) for a friend's Peavey Classic 50. If anyone has already done this, and has any tips or pointers, you are welcome to share... :)

/Andreas

ilhamfs

thanks andreas,
i think i'll start finding parts then :) hopefully i'll find a decent box for that switch :)

elucid

hello to all,

how would the feel of the switches on these kinds of pedals be replicated?  (like a sustain pedal or any other boss pedal)  something springy as opposed to the stomping click switch?

thanx

olsenn

Hi everybody !
Does someone can explain to me what is the tip and what is the ground ?
thanks in advance
Olsenn

Paul Marossy

QuoteDoes someone can explain to me what is the tip and what is the ground ?

That's simple. On a 1/4" plug, the tip of the plug is the tip and ground would be the sleeve that is electrically isolated from the tip.  Get it?