NoseGrinder **UNMASKED**

Started by Eb7+9, January 09, 2004, 10:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eb7+9

Here's a beasty for all you fuzz lovers ... my NoseGrinder was cloned from the Japanese made "Royal Fuzz"

http://www.lynx.net/~jc/royalFuzz.gif

... I posted a few details about my pedal and the circuit itself ... http://www.lynx.net/~jc/pedals.html

... turns out to be near identical to the JAX Fuzz-Wah - cf. Dan Norris' FuzzGuts site ... http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/home.html ...

Wondering if anybody knows if the Shin-Ei "UniFuzz" is related to this or any of these circuits ?? Have fun !

... jc

Mark Hammer

The Shin-Ei, Univox Superfuzz, and a bunch of others actually ARE essentially the same circuit.  I acquired one (a Royal Fuzz Wah) for repairing the other day.

Your note about the need to match the hfe of the latter two transistors in the "parabolic transfer stage" is helpful.  I sort of figured there would be some sort of matching needed in any part of a circuit where "folding over" of a rectified signal was used for octave generation, but had never seen any specific mention of it.

Not sure if we discussed it when you were here, but Bernie Hutchins also mentions that when using equal-resistor-value phase splitters, such as are used here, the circuit performs better if the emitter-to-ground resistor is just a tiny bit smaller than the V+-to-collector resistor; i.e., not precisely equal.  I don't know why or how much.  I can dig up the old Electronotes sheet after work and see if there is more detail.

Are you guys out of the snow?

Doug H

Okay, JC. I've been waiting to see what was inside this one, ever since I heard that lovely sound clip of yours. What does the switch do?

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this out.

Doug

ExpAnonColin

Hey Eb7+9, I couldn't help but notice you were on fortune city and was wondering if you wanted me to host the "fuzz guts" site on experimentalists anonymous, so it was ad free with more space and bandwidth-and just a friendly request, it'd be nice to get other pedal guts too!  I love looking at them.
-Colin

BillyJ

Oh my gosh I am so happy that you did that  :D
I've wanted one from the first listen.
That is one pedal I would have bought if I could have done so.
Mnay thanks for sharing it with us. This one makes the list for sure!!!
TOo cool man thanks again!!!!!

R.G.

Quotethe Japanese made "Royal Fuzz"
... is one of the many clones of the Univox Super Fuzz. Or maybe the Univox is a clone of one of them. These things typically have some variation in the first two transistor stages, but all share the split load phase inverter, two-transistor full wave rectifier, switched mid-scoop filter section, and output gain stage.

QuoteYour note about the need to match the hfe of the latter two transistors in the "parabolic transfer stage" is helpful. I sort of figured there would be some sort of matching needed in any part of a circuit where "folding over" of a rectified signal was used for octave generation, but had never seen any specific mention of it.
The early Univox SuperFuzzes had a trimpot to enable a tweaking-in on mismatched transistors. I included this matching  control on my layout of the SF Fuzz at GEO.  I think it was you, Mark, that noted that this makes a great front panel control, as it enables one to tune in max octave or tune it almost completely out. Wasn't that you?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Eb7+9

Thanx for the info Mark and RG ... (!)

... our 5-day winter came and pretty much went already - not to grind this in your nose or anything :wink:

Quote from: anonymousexperimentalistHey Eb7+9, I couldn't help but notice you were on fortune city and was wondering if you wanted me to host the "fuzz guts" site on experimentalists anonymous ...

... the FuzzGuts website belongs to Dan Norris - he should be reading this shortly ...

bobbletrox

gringo699c

That soundclip is incredible. Ive listened to hundreds in the last month in my quest for a fuzz pedal and thats the sound im looking for.
 Since ive never built a pedal is there any pedal on the market that would have a similar sound to the nose grinder and does anyone here ever build for people like me---a beginer with no working knowledge of circuits, etc.
Chris

Dan N

Thanks JC! I love that you bypassed the drive knob. I feel like doing that on most fuzzes I build. Hardwire it on 10!

The Ace Tone was the only model of this genre that used silicon diodes (that I know of). It does make a difference. One member here (Bill?) once posted that his SF cone sounded excellent when he lifted one of the diodes. So, an on-off-on togglle might be an interesting addition.

The Ibanez Standard wau fuzz uses a single cap to ground for the tone switch. It really works.

Just looking at the slight differences in the SF like circuits coulld lead to an optimized hybrid of some sort.

Thanks again!

Eb7+9

Quote from: gringo699cSince ive never built a pedal is there any pedal on the market that would have a similar sound to the nose grinder and does anyone here ever build for people like me---a beginer with no working knowledge of circuits, etc.
Chris

Yes, I do ... $225CDN is what I charge for a NoseGrinder (shipping included to US/Canada) ... the box is not finished or anything - just built-in tone using premium quality parts ...

I walked into my buddy's music store tonite with my box of pedals and I took out my univibed Phase45 clone for him to try out when all the guitar teachers came downstairs to give it a spin - I got five orders on the spot ... :shock:

... what a hobby !

Paul Marossy

That is a nasty sounding fuzz, isn't it? In a good way, of course.  8)
I like it.