solder fumes filter

Started by marc, January 11, 2004, 09:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

there was a thread a while back about using an air filter to absorb fumes from soldering. do those things work? i have a serious lack of ventilation at my new job, they just have a fan set up there to blow the fumes out the door (still indoors).

thanks,
marc.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I never had luck with those fans. I think the only system that really works, is the type where you have a thin metal tube along the top of the iron that sucks the smoke right off the tip, and pumps to a filter. Expensive, but i'm sure you could DIY.

Boofhead

A good start is a small PC fan on your desk to blow the fumes away from the workspace, that stops you breathing great slabs of fumes directly.

You really need an extraction fan *and* a fresh-air inlet to get right of the junk.  I open the windows when I solder where possible.

I believe there are occupational health and safetly guidelines for soldering areas that your employer should be adhering to, but you probably don't want to start waving the rule book around at your new job.  There's also other stuff like wearing eye protection from solder spatters and lead cuttings etc.  You might be able to find on-line documents providing guidelines for setting up a electronics soldering workspace.