Main Menu

6pdt stomp

Started by troubledtom, January 12, 2004, 03:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

does anyone know of such a beast ?
            thanx,
               - tom
the omegawave is going in to production and this stomp would make things a lot easier.

tambek

i know such a pushbutton, but it's plastic and it costs about 0.10$, and it's a pain in the ass when it comes to panel mounting... and it's not durable at all .... :P

Mark Hammer

I've seen horizontal-mount soft-touch switches of this type with even 8PDT switching.   If your plan is to have a stompswitch, I'm not sure anyone makes such a multi-pole device that would withstand your average lumberjack boot.  Perhaps more importantly, there is the bigger issue of how you put 6 sets of contacts in something with a shallow profile depth-wise.

My guess is that having a single push-motion transmitted lengthwise by a common actuator (and I'm thinking of the usual round pushbutton dolby-on/off switches on tape decks) will result in more reliable contact switching than having the same push-motion have to be transmitted width-wise across a bunch of contact sets.  My gut tells me that after a certain point, the contact sets at the outside reaches of such a switch are unreliably switched.

I have some 4PDT push-buttons by Alco that will function as stepswitches in terms of physical installation in a typical stompbox, but they are really not meant for adjustment by Doc Maartens.

Probably the smart thing to do is have a pair of 3PDT's side by side with some custom cap over the top so that if you step on one the downward motion is reliably transferred to the other.  That starts to turn into a $20 switch, though.  If it doesn't hurt your pricepoint too much, fine, but ouch that's gonna be one pricey pedal.

troubledtom

mark sledgehammer said
Probably the smart thing to do is have a pair of 3PDT's side by side with some custom cap over the top so that if you step on one the downward motion is reliably transferred to the other. That starts to turn into a $20 switch, though. If it doesn't hurt your pricepoint too much, fine, but ouch that's gonna be one pricey pedal.

i was afraid you'd say that :x ,damn. well i have people line'n up for
the OMEGAWAVE . i've already turned too many people away.... not good for bizz.
     i'll never live this one down w/ the mighty Z-man . it's gonna have more switches and knobs than some people have in their parts bins.
but i gotta do it man. the size of the enclosure is the other pain.
   yes the device will be pricey.  time, it takes to much time to do the ALPHAWAVE and this will be 2-3 harder and time consuming.

maybe i should take up painting......... oh shit , i already do that too!
                     peace,
                         - tom
           www.troubledvariance.com

troubledtom

mark sledgehammer said
Probably the smart thing to do is have a pair of 3PDT's side by side with some custom cap over the top so that if you step on one the downward motion is reliably transferred to the other. That starts to turn into a $20 switch, though. If it doesn't hurt your pricepoint too much, fine, but ouch that's gonna be one pricey pedal.

i was afraid you'd say that :x ,damn. well i have people line'n up for
the OMEGAWAVE . i've already turned too many people away.... not good for bizz.
     i'll never live this one down w/ the mighty Z-man . it's gonna have more switches and knobs than some people have in their parts bins.
but i gotta do it man. the size of the enclosure is the other pain.
   yes the device will be pricey.  time, it takes to much time to do the ALPHAWAVE and this will be 2-3 harder and time consuming.

maybe i should take up painting......... oh shit , i already do that too!
                     peace,
                         - tom
           www.troubledvariance.com

downweverything

or you can use a spst stomp with some relays

ExpAnonColin

Quote from: downweverythingor you can use a spst stomp with some relays

Also, I'm sure you could rig something up like this:

-Colin[/img]

Mike Burgundy

Okay, I'm done doing a goldfish imitation after reading "6PDT stomp".
Now for ideas: I'd agree on electronics.
I use mechanical switches for two reasons:
A) it takes some effort to get electronic switching to sound good, and
B) a momentary costs almost as much or more as a DPDT.
Ease of use is a big thing.
In last place comes true bypass, actually. FETs and especially MOSFETs can be incredible as switches. I dare to dare (um..) *anybody* to hear the difference between a true switch (non-popping, thank you. that's a bit of a give-away ;) ) and well-designed MOSFET switching.

Now, if you want something exotic like a 6PDT, I'd go for a little more effort for less money and switches, and see what MOS can do.

troubledtom

thanx guys,
    the circuit for the OM is a phuckmonster to do , already.
i didn't wan'to add more circuitry the the beast , but hey after developing the the AW , most things are easier, but a bit foriegn to me, so it's hard to
embrase a different means to an end i guess.
     i was afraid of the answer................   because i knew there'd be more R&D i'd have to do.
    - tom :idea:

Mike Burgundy

Have a look at some (I kid you not) Moosa Beggar (...) schems - especially the swiching bit. This is something they always mess up intentionally on schematics, but the switching mechanism itself is usually correct, and works good. Not fast enough to click or anything, not slow enough to fade audibly. All you need to figure out is how to fit it in, and wether to use a P or N channel MOS (and which type, but hey, they're almost all fast, with ultra-high off (>10M) and ultra-low on (<10Ohm) resistance. Get a cheap one. 2N7002 comes to mind.

troubledtom

do yah have a link to the riddle :twisted:
         - tom

Mike Burgundy

Lots of people took down their schems when MB started puffing up their mis-patented chest, but this guy still has some up for one:
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/tom/schematics.htm

troubledtom

it's a dead link or just down for a bit, i'll try it again tonight.
           - tom