News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

tinker time!

Started by hair force one, January 13, 2004, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

hi fellow electroholics ! This week i'm occupying 2 morning hours by handmaking one of this thing a day. Each one is big, seems hard-rock solid and will have a different design...

See you tomorrow!

petemoore

I like the shape of things to come !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

troubledtom

cool and rad !!!!!!
      nice work,
             - tom

gez

I like the 'robot foot' on the right, cool stuff!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Good to see, Hair Force!
Something I would like to see are those boxes wider at the back, so they go together in a 'petal' configuration, like an arc.

jimmy

they look awesome!!!

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

ExpAnonColin

:) Cool, new enclosure options are always fun.

-Colin

hair force one

ok this one took a little much time to make because of its tortured design.
gez: i like the "robot foot" too, gonna paint it in creamy yellow and black like my strat...
Paul Perry: yeah a "piece-of-cake" pedal like the Vox pedals from the 80's. Maybe tomorrow, who knows ?

Gringo

Hey hair force, those are ver nice boxes!!

As i'm a student with little "hobby funds", i only buy what i can't do myself (i'm a forced DIYer!! :D), and i really like to see other people doing stuff like you do, it gives me very useful data and ideas!!

Right now i'm recycling scavenged boards and discovering the pleasures and pitfalls of perfboarding; the home made enclosures will have to wait until i can lay my hands on some tools ;)

Have fun!!
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

hair force one

Thanks gringo, i'm so much of a DIYer myself, it's so rewarding.

I'm just thinking: ain't writing a song instead of turning on the radio DIYing? and drawing my grandma's portrait instead of taking it with digital cam?? So Art should be called DIY! And we should called each others artists?

hair force one

Ok a simple project but somewhat delicate to trace on the steelsheet.
Makes a cool rig . Takes 20 boxes to totally surround you in a circle  
I made a cheesy paintjob with my photoshopper, could be funny to do a piece of birthday cake (with used candle knobs) or a daisy petal...

Is anyone have any idea/plan of an unuasal/funny box for tomorrow, let me know, bie!

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

hair force one

wow like in the nirvana song?

Gez, making round shaped boxes is a bit hard and time consuming. I don't want to pass my friday on it, but i'm gonna think about it, we'll see...

anyone else?

gez

Quote from: hair force oneGez, making round shaped boxes is a bit hard and time consuming. I don't want to pass my friday on it, but i'm gonna think about it, we'll see...

As soon as I posted I realised it was a bit of a stupid request.  But it got me thinking and I googled 'heart shaped box'.  Came up with this site which has some nice wood enclosures (though the heart one has a bit of a coffin vibe to it!)

http://www.marquetry.co.uk/main/acatalog/Wooden_Boxes.html

They look quite thick but I don't know much about wood - is sycamore strong enough do you reckon?

I like the look of some of the simpler round ones, maybe take the hinges of that hexagonal one and try that?

Sorry to hi-jack this thread…can’t wait to see tomorrows!

Jim Jones

Awesome work!  I love those boxes - keep 'em coming!

Jim

Jason Stout

Hair force, You can send any and all 'extras' to me!   8)
Jason Stout

hair force one

And here is the one that will be paint in pink-red. The knobs ain't there, in fact i paste 'em with 'ho'o'hop cause i didn't drill any holes in it. The top & bottom white panel are compressed like loaded spring and kept in place by no less than 12 screws (broke my personnal record here!) so i don't want to open it 'til i've decided what stuff would be in...

If someone wants me to do a special box and send him i'll be glad to.
But I'm wondering what would be the fair price for it...

WGTP

I think you may have a buisness started.

How about a 5 pointed STAR???   8)

Lots of sides for jacks and knobs, with a switch on top.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

PB Wilson

It's not as fancy as your other designs, but how about one like your Monday box, but recess an area at the back to recess the knobs? My Banzai Fireball II is built like this. Check http://www.banzaieffects.com/products/fireball2.htm for pictures.

Nasse

A Fuzz Face round case is one you can not buy easily (if not at all). I have been toying with an idea to make somewhat similar looking and same "feel" case from wood and metal combination. "Floor plan" or top or bottom wiev should be round.

There is that thing where jacks are, could be made by bending flat metal sheet

That somewhat triangular area which is covered with grooved rubber mat and where stomp switch is, could be flat again

But area between those might need to be curved, maybe made from two curved pieces or from one round piece, a suitable sector removed and bent to conical shape. You may need perhaps a wooden structure inside to keep it in shape and make it strong enough. But that was just a silly idea, maybe too much fuss... :oops:
  • SUPPORTER