News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

tinker time!

Started by hair force one, January 13, 2004, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

A five point star, could do that but i try to avoid boxes with to many sides since i've had some bad experience with this following pedal:

Involving welding job it was way to complicated for the result, but the sound is really worth, sort of electronic octaver fuzz with neverending sustain...

WGThickPresence: I'm gonna rethink the all multisidestuff and...

PB Wilson: yeap neat designed german effects (and cool mail order for parts) with superneat boxes, i think they're all alloy whereas mine are pure steel. They are cut and bend by hand so they have not this cold slick industrial feel. Anyway take wednesday's box, remove the back unpainted panel, apply a gentle slope on the front panel and you'll have a banzaï casing!

Nasse: it'd be cool if i'll do that, but no wood-facing in front of me, please!

gez

Hair force, it was love at first sight!  :D ( :oops: )
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

BillyJ

HFO...you are da man!!!

Paul I had that very idea for years. Seeing you with the same idea made me feel all smart...for about one second LOL!
Those are the coolest boxes HFO keep it up. Incredible stuff!!!

hair force one

Bcause of excessive hangover recovery times i wasn't able to work very hard today. So i'm attempting to make it in 2 days.
Will be a try for the king of pedals, the holy grail of diyers!
Shall i succeed in my weekend quest?...

hair force one

a project which is harder than i thought, gonna finish the box/pedal and perhaps replace this cassette-deck rack and pignon junk by something else.

to the next week!

gez

Hair Force, how do you get the screws to stay in?  Is there a way to make a thread in the metal for the screw to lock into?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Made my day, seeing that "cheesy" wedge of DIY! thanx Hair Force!

(By the way, I met a woman who once slept on the bed in Air Force One  - her dad was an ambassador! instead of a 'bed belt' there's a kind of net thing for turbulence! just some trivia)

Peter Snowberg

Awesome boxes HFO! 8) :D

I saw the heart box and my first thought was of Camembert Electrique for some reason. ;)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: gezhow do you get the screws to stay in?  Is there a way to make a thread in the metal for the screw to lock into?
Here's one approach: thread cutting screws
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/fast_guide/fg_tapping_screws.htm
providing the plate is thick enough. Otherwise it is the ordinary self-tappers. Or you can make your own thread with a tapping thread cutter (anyone in Austraia wants to cut threads, Jaycar has M3 and M4 taps).

gez

Thanks Paul, great stuff!  I'll do some googling for UK suppliers.

hair force one

Gez:
these screws i use come from my old dad's workshop, they're indeed thread cutting screws (like the big ones for wood panels but smaller) and i put them into 1,5 mm thick metal allright, just using a screwdriver. In france we simply call them "vis à tôle" which means "metal sheet's screws" and you can find 'em pretty easily.
Paul Perry:
i think i'm gonna put some stinky effect in this the one you stomp on it, everyone's fingers goes from beer to ear.
( wasn't that Austin Power's Boiing Shag'o'matic on Wings instead of Mr. President private's).
Peter Snowberg
I hear Gong connoisseur here (me not so), the camenbert can be a good idea too, didn't thought of that before...

back to the bench!

hair force one

only one pedal this week!

Jim Jones

Ha!  You're out of control!  :)

Jim

smoguzbenjamin

I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

David

Sacre bleu!  You are crazy!   :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, how did you do your metalwork?

Hal

seriously: you are talented.   I'm not sure if you realize how sincere that remark is.  Not only are you able to work the metal, but you have "the vision," an artistic ability to see the design you want.  I only wish i was as talented as you.  Until then, I'm stuck with junction boxes.  :twisted:

hair force one

thanks everyone, what you're sayin' is feedbackin' straight to my tincan heart!

Somicide

i tip my hat to you sir, you have ascended it seems to a level above simply (well, not really simply) making the effects but making them aesthetically pleasing as well.  Now if only i had an idea for what I'd like mine to look like, I'd gladly pay you.
Peace 'n Love