2 Mosfet Boosters in 1 box question

Started by Russ, January 16, 2004, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Hi guys,
I'm wanting to build 2 of Jack's Mosfet Boosters into 1 box with a master volume control after the 2nd booster, functioning just like Zvex's SuperDuper 2 in 1 pedal (with the ability to overdrive the heck out of the second booster and control the volume).
Do I simply need to connect the second booster's 0.1uf output cap directly into a master volume control (grounding the opposite lug and taking the output from the wiper, etc.)?
Am I on the right track here?
If so, what value master volume pot would you recommend? Maybe a 100k  audio?
Thanks for any advice,
Russ

smoguzbenjamin

You're on the right track. ;) A master volume would be fine @ 100k :D But what do you want it to do? Like a first boost with boost pot? And the second boost with the boost pot, and then the master volume? Because if you're going to use it like that, you don't need a master volume. Just a gain (first boost), and volume (second boost). Add a tone control to taste ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Russ

Yeah, I'm wanting to set it up just like the SuperDuper is set up: separate switches, with a boost pot on the first booster, and a boost pot AND a master volume pot on the second booster. This would give it the ability to have four different options:
1) 1st booster by itself (2nd booster bypassed)
2) 2nd booster by itself (1st booster bypassed, for a higher-type gain setting, if desired)
3) Both boosters bypassed
4) 1st booster into 2nd booster

This setup also give the option of using the 1st booster as a "leave- on-all-the-time-boost" for a little extra sparkle, and using the 2nd booster to boost solos.
Thanks,
Russ

bwanasonic

Jack mentions in his article that you only need one voltage divider if you build a 2-in-1, so you don't need to duplicate that part of the circuit.  

Kerry M

petemoore

I just picked up some 12 Zeners.
 I would rail the power supply's [connected second MosBoosts v+ and Gnd to the first ones].
 The second pot as above mentioned and switching is cool.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

You might want a bass cut switch for a little more Bass sometimes.
 Dos that go on the first one or the second? or both
                      ...tuning..one spst per 'adda bass cap'...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

WGTP

Just an idea.  What about 1 Mosfet and 1 Jfet MuAmp.  Then you would have 2 different booster sounds and the Mosfet into a MuAmp might be a little smoother.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Russ

Thanks guys,
I'm familiar with wiring the two up per Jack's Mosfet Booster article.
I'm more concerned about what value and taper of pot to use for the master volume control, and if my original idea of how to wire up the master is correct (after the 2nd boosters output cap).
Any more suggestions along these lines (pot value and taper, placement and wiring of master, etc.)?
Thanks,
Russ

amz-fx

Two of the AMZ Mosfet boosters in series will not sound like the Zvex SuperDuper 2 in 1 pedal because there is a fundamental difference in the designs.

If you want a Super-D, buy one and support Zach.

No offense intended...

best regards, Jack

afranks

Well, Jack's MOSFET booster and the SHO have more in common than they have differences.  And as far as buying a 2-in-1 vs. building something similar using Jack's schem goes, I'm not paying 275 clams for a swanky paint job. $150 and I'd probably spring for it.  Think about it. I can buy a TASCAM 8 track digital recorder (very hard to DIY) for $299.  Why would I spend $275 on a boost pedal when I can build something that works just as well for $30 in parts?  Certainly someone with no DIY capabilities might buy one, but not me.

amz-fx

QuoteJack's MOSFET booster and the SHO have more in common than they have differences.
Oh, really?

1) The input impedance is different.
2) The input dc bias is different.
3) The output impedance is different.
4) The two types of outputs are different.
5) Input RF protection is different.
6) Input static protection is different.
7) Buffering outs are different.
8) The gain control is different.
9) Max gain available is different.
10) Negative feedback is different.
11) Current draw requirements are different.
12) Component count is  different.

And finally, here is what Zvex himself had to say about the subject: "he doesn't use a single component that is exactly the same as what i use except for the transistor itself, so it's really quite a different animal."
- Harmony Central Effects Forum, 06-04-2003 07:53 AM

Not better, not worse, just different... Two of the AMZ Mosfet boosters in series will not sound like the Zvex SuperDuper 2 in 1 pedal because there is a fundamental difference in the designs.  I know whereof I speak. If someone wants the Super-D sound, buy one and support Zach.

regards, Jack

afranks

When did I say there weren't any differences?  Thanks for the carefully
crafted and exhaustive set of diffrerences between the two.  I won't
pain the forum with the even more voluminous set of similarities.
Component values are different, but the topology of the circuit is
*incredibly* similar.  Why, because there's only so many ways to do
a MOSFET booster.

WRT ZV, what you're saying is that eveyone should ignore the primary
drivers of capitalism and buy pedals from ZV with no regard to their
price?  No thanks... I'll build a 2-in-1 clone and save $245.  No fancy
paint job, but with ZV pedals the paint chips off within a year anyway.

Russ

Sorry, guys, and thanks for your posts. I sure didn't mean to open a can of worms or attempt to discredit Zac's livelihood in any way, I just thought it was a neat idea at the time. I use two of Jack's Mosfet Boosters together at the end of my effects (one on, one on and off to boost solos) and I've always thought Zac's design with the master control on the end of the second booster was cool. Having played both side by side, the Zvex SHO and the Mosfet Booster are different designs, and are different-sounding. In my humble estimation, the Mosfet Booster is TOTALLY transparent, while the Zvex has a certain rounding of the top end that is very smooth-sounding (I think they're both great designs and both VERY useful).

My apologies. No offense intended to anyone.
Thanks, Russ

amz-fx

QuoteComponent values are different, but the topology of the circuit is
*incredibly* similar. Why, because there's only so many ways to do
a MOSFET booster.

Similar in a general sense of the word but not "incredibly" similar as you state.  There are only a few ways to make a mosfet booster is certainly true, but the differences I have outlined are part of what makes them sound different..

QuoteWRT ZV, what you're saying is that eveyone should ignore the primary drivers of capitalism and buy pedals from ZV with no regard to their price?

Not at all.  If you want two of the AMZ mosfet boosters coupled together that's great and they sound nice. Do it!  But it won't sound exactly like the Super 2-n-1 for reasons that I do not want to further detail here...  ZV makes nice pedals, support him by buying his pedal if you want the exact sound is all I'm saying.  

regards, Jack