Previous topic - Next topic

Tubefreak

If you ask someone what's the best, the answers will be something like this:
Tubepreamp: Neve not Behringer
Mic: Neumann not Rode
Tube: Telefunken not Sovtek
Compressor: Manley not dBx
etc.

Now if we look at opamps, fets, etc., what is the absoluut best? And I mean the absoluut top there is, not looking at any price range.

I know what's good when it comes to tube amps, but opamps and fets...... I have no clue. So I was wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me what's the best you could get and I mean the absoluut top. Don't care how it sounds when it's distorted, just want a pure signal with maximum clarity and lowest noise. I know there is a lot more involved then just a H.Q. opamp. But let's first focus on this.

Mainly I would like to use them for buffering guitar signals. Also I have some audio units with stock TL072's in them. Are there any killer replacements for them which would result in a better sound/lower noise? I know this is done a lot in the hifi world but wonder if you guys have any ideas?.

Really looking forward to your constructive input.
Maarten van Helden
www.tubefreak.com
www.skirl.nl

Ed G.

The Burr-Brown OPA2604 is supposed to be an excellent opamp. I've seen lots of audiowanker guys praise them in the newsgroups. Supposed to be high-gain, high bandwidth, low distortion and noise.
Tip: I've just ordered a couple free samples from the Texas Instruments web site.

Mark Hammer

Two answers:

The snotty answer: The one you spent the most money on.

The realistic answer: The one whose characteristics are well-suited to the intended application.

Since your stated purpose is for buffering guitar signals, then you can safely ignore just about everything regarding slew rate since the slewing requirements are pretty minimal.  Personally, I don't see any need for slewing above 0.5v/us and quite frankly just about every major manufacturer doesn't either.

Noise tends to be a function of input resistance range, with some op-amps outshining others when on their "home turf" and looking less impressive outside of it.

Distortion characteristics (in the sense of having very little) are yoked to headroom which is yoked to supply voltage.  Supply voltage, in turn, is a function of what you want to and CAN use, vs what you HAVE to use.  There are op-amps that can run fine with over +/-20V.  Indeed, I had a conversation with a mic preamp guy who cited one "authority" that advised buying a stack of a particular op-amp, powering them with +/-25v (that's right, a FIFTY-volt supply for an op-amp) and retaining the survivors (bear in mind that "ratings" are what is guaranteed by the manufacturer, not what is possible in some of the outliers).  Of course, if your intention is a 9v-powered circuit, the capacity to maintain low levels of distortion and tons of headroom with a 50v supply is not particularly relevant, is it?

Op-amps are also selected on the basis of how much offset voltage is going to be introduced, with some having low enough DC offset introduced that you can use them pretty fearlessly in directed-coupled instrumentation circuits.  Of course, that is not your concern here either.

You can actually build op-amps from discrete components that may be able to meet all your needs.  My sense, though, is that the sort of rig you'd need to hear differences between the "pretty good" and the "spare no expense" with your standard guitar signal, using an objective blind A/B test (and I recommend audio engineering god Floyd Toole's method) is pretty damn costly.  Perhaps more importantly, the kind of ears you'd need are generally not possessed by guitar players or maybe ANY gigging musician these days.  Hell, most people don't even need anything beyond 12khz bandwidth by the time they reach the age of 15.  :cry:

smoguzbenjamin

12kHz??? :( What! Looks like the warranty on my ears just ended then ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Mark Hammer

"12kHz???  What! Looks like the warranty on my ears just ended then "

That would depend if you are the guy on the bus forced to listen to what's leaking out of someone's headphones at the other end of the bus, or whether you are the guy with the headphones. :wink:

Jay Doyle

R.G.

I find that a good NE5532 has a heady bouquet with a solid presence and a finish reminiscent of pepper and ginger. I use these for everyday circuits.

When I'm having a party, I'll go with something like a 1973 JRC4558D to start with, not too sparkly, but easy to take and a sure conversation starter. As a main course, I might use a TTLC2272 for smooth, robust flavor, and finish up with an OPA 275 for dessert.

But that's just me.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Doug H

Thanks, R.G. That gave me my deep belly-laugh of the day...

Me, I'll take a TI 4558 with seafood but never on empty stomach. But after dinner I enjoy a hearty TL072 with a good cigar...

Doug

downweverything

QuoteTubepreamp: Neve not Behringer
whoa! neve makes tube preamps? what models? never heard of this.  maybe just a mistake.  let me know! :D

Joe Davisson

I think the CA3140 (MOSFET-input opamp) would be good for your purposes for a variety of reasons. In the end I think the circuit design itself is just as important. But the CA3140 is a pop-in, sound-good replacement for other single opamps if you can be careful not to zap it!

Tubefreak

Anyone ever tried a LT1028? It's in the list of AMZ's opamp noise calculation and seems to be good...

Maarten
www.tubefreak.com
www.skirl.nl

Tubefreak

Quote from: downweverything
QuoteTubepreamp: Neve not Behringer
whoa! neve makes tube preamps? what models? never heard of this.  maybe just a mistake.  let me know! :D

Oops.... It should have been micpreamp.  :oops:
www.tubefreak.com
www.skirl.nl

Mark Hammer

I've had pleasing experiences using CA3140's too.  Unfortunately I have not had pleasing experiences finding them.

RDV

It's LM741's all the way for me! I love the hiss, cause I love the beach. So when I get to longing for the surf I just turn on the old Distortion+ and I'm just so there!

SSSSSSSS

RDV

brett

I agree with RG - the NE5532 is the cheap and widely available Ferrari of the op-amp world.  Rail to rail power.  The 741 is a 1960s diesel pickup truck (much noisier and slower but still kinda lovable) and the TL072 is your Honda (trouble-free).

In jfets the Ferrari is a J201.  High transconductance.

In transistors, the 2N5089 has high hFE and very low noise.

Maybe there are F1 options out there (Ferrari too slow?), but the performance offered by most parts exceeds both my expectations and ability to hear the difference.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Mike Burgundy

QuoteIt's LM741's all the way for me! I love the hiss, cause I love the beach. So when I get to longing for the surf I just turn on the old Distortion+ and I'm just so there!

SSSSSSSS

I like the ones that get hot. Pack'em tight, and never drink cold coffee again during rehearsal ;)

RDV

Quote from: Mike BurgundyI like the ones that get hot. Pack'em tight, and never drink cold coffee again during rehearsal ;)
That's the spirit! I was putting leads down in the studio on Saturday and not only was my LM741 equipped pedal hissing and hot, but it was picking up some serious radio signals as well! In case I sucked, I told them to just record the stinking pedal. I love this shit!!

Regards

RDV