stomp box surgery.

Started by Brian Marshall, January 23, 2004, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

the whole family waits as the surgeon works.

It appears everything will be fine  :D

:roll:

bobbletrox

How long does it take you to make each unit?

p.s. looking good!  8)

Brian Marshall

my wife would tell you it is the only thing i have been doing for the last two weeks.

now that i have a design, and make 4 at a time i think i can do them in 8 to 10 hours (2 to 2.5 hrs for each box)

of course it acutally takes a few days waiting for paint to dry and all.

I am going to start having my boards made, so that will speed it up a lot.

Brian

PB Wilson

Looks cool! 8)  I wish you the best of luck with your new endeavor. I've heard good things on other forums.

By the way, I like the halo of spray paint on the inside of the bottom. I get the same thing on my DIYs when I prop them up on a plastic cup for their transformation from bare aluminum to painted glory! Rock on!

Brian Marshall

yeah, i cleaned out the aluminum arround tha jacks and pots, but i didint clean the bottoms up.  I sort of like writnig all the stuff in the middle of it.

brian

PB Wilson

I do the same thing. Great minds think alike, huh? :wink:

petemoore

Funny, the family didn't look 'concerned'...
 What's in the Happy Boys?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Brian Marshall

Quote from: petemooreFunny, the family didn't look 'concerned'...
 What's in the Happy Boys?
hahahaha

just having a battery put in.  routine stuff really.

1 opamp
5 resistiors
3 pots
1 led
1 battery
2 diodes
4 caps
and a bunch of wire, and a lot of TLC.

overdrive/distortion/fuzz

bobbletrox

Are those 630v metallized polyester caps?  I've noticed them in alot of people's pedals...is there something wrong with the green 100v ones?

Ansil

Quote from: bobbletroxAre those 630v metallized polyester caps?  I've noticed them in alot of people's pedals...is there something wrong with the green 100v ones?

i used the 630 volt ones cause i got the dirt cheap.  but thats me..  i mean if you can get a closeout deal on a big lot of capacitors for next to nothing. i got soehting like 1 cent caps.

bobbletrox

Luke

Sorry for the cliche, but that looks like a REAL fuzz face, Brian! (yeah, I know :lol: )
In all seriousness though, it looks great.
For what its worth, I wish you every sucess (but dont ignore the wife too much though- I have seen first hand what angry women can do to stompboxes...) :D
Congrats again Brian
Take care,
Cheers,
Luke

smoguzbenjamin

It seems that females and stompboxes don't mix ;) My girlfriend is also complaining that I should marry my pedals instead of her  :oops:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

afranks

Brian-

Did you say you were silk screening the enclosures?
If so, what kind of setup are you using?  Also, what
kind of ink?

thanks-
-alan

Brian Marshall

right now i am just using the speedball starter kit.  The ink is standard fabric ink, but i give it 20 minutes to dry under a hot lamp, and then clear coat over it twice.

i bought some solvent based ink and solvent resistant emulsion, but need to get a new screen to set it up, and really need to build a good work station for it.  i still need some solvent for it too, because the solvent based ink will not come out of the screen with water.

Brian

Peter Snowberg

When you say "standard fabric ink", do you mean Plastisol? :shock:

I wouldn't use anything other than ink made for signboards for the reliability aspect. Any decent ink should not require a clear-coat to be VERY durable.

For solvent, the best seems to be xylene. You can wash out a screen with xylene many times without damaging the stencil at all.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

afranks

Thanks Brian!  I picked up the speedball starter kit, but I haven't
tried it on an enclosure yet.  I was wondering if I needed to order
some of the Nazdar ink first.  It looks like you got great results
with just the standard stuff, so I'll give that a try and see how it
goes.

-alan

Brian Marshall

that's what i bought nazdar.  i saw it on a previous post a while ago and wrote it down.  Still havent used it though.

RDV

I just want to thank Brian for posting the Stupid Box. I put one on perf last night and it rocks! It's like a full range Tube Screamer without all that ridiculous midrange. Also; more gain on hand, I used 2 Ge diodes and 1 1N4001 for some crunch and assymetrical clipping. One other slightly different thing was I used a LM741 I had which worked fine.

Thanks again

RDV

Brian Marshall

cool.  thanks for the review.  

i was thinking about switching to a single op amps instead of the duals, but i have about 100 tl072's.

The design was actually inspired by the tube screamer.  that was sort of my starting point.  I like the swept filter for the tone control.  i dont understand why more pedals dont use this.  it makes it a lot easier to match the pedal to an amp.

i put up some sound clips at
http://subdecay.com