stomp box surgery.

Started by Brian Marshall, January 23, 2004, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

Have you thought about using the second stage of the opamp to do a 2nd stage with diodes to ground like a Dist+ and blend between the 2, or better yet, footswitch between them for dual OD kind of like the Wayhuge Cameltoe.

Just a slightly inebriated thought

RDV

Brian Marshall

I've done lots of things with it in my garage,  I was thinking about building one with about 7 knobs with an active filter bias control, and a boost switch, and even an LFO on the input bias voltage.  I tried doing it on bread board, but i couldnt get it to fit.  a lot of off board wiring on bread board is a pain in the ass too.  I actually ended up building a different circuit when i got mad and ripped all the parts out.

i might post that one soon too.  not really perfected yet

RDV

I only suggested the second stage because you were using a dual OA in the SB so to incorporate the 2nd OA stage wouldn't require much more wiring really, since you already have your Vr and V+ handy. I may try the Dual Overdrive thing myself and post a report when I get it done. Waiting for parts, you know.

Regards

RDV

Brian Marshall

That's cool, there's lots of things you can do with it, but i posted it the way i thought it sounded best.

I tried a few different opamps, tone controls, diodes.  asymetrical clipping, hard clipping, and many others.  It is a farily simple circuit and easy to have some fun with.

RDV

My little plan entails having one side being your design exactly, the other being a diode to ground after output the second side of the Dual OA like a Dist+ and having two 3PDT switches to turn them each on or off or have them cascaded. Sort of like a Stupid Dupid 2N1. Just for shits & giggles. I just do this stuff to occupy a sick mind. People around here just stare at me when I tell them that I do it, almost as if I'm telling them about masterbating or something.

Regards

RDV

brett

Somebody will definately know more about this than me, but I wonder why you'd need the extra opamp if you really just want to add a diode clip to ground section.  You can do that after the first opamp.  On the other hand, I suppose it would be handy to control the gain before such a section, so the whole MXR D+ thing might be handy.  Someone who has built such a beast would know whether you get useful interaction between these two different types of clippers.  To me, diodes to ground (eg D+)sound a lot harder and crunchier than feedback diodes (eg TS), and it's hard to imagine the former not overwhelming the latter.  Comments??
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Brian Marshall

my guess is he wants two seperate circuits so it would be like two channels.  if you have the loop clipping on, and then turn on the ground clipping it you will lose some volume for sure.  It makes sense to me.

runmikeyrun

I like the nazdar inks, i just hate the cleanup involved with solvent inks.  Stinks up the whole house.  

The speedball ones chip and scrape off easily but i never thought to clear coat over them... good idea!  Get the speedball silver acrylic ink, it's bad ass!!  looks great on black, red, navy blue paint jobs.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

RDV

Quote from: Brian Marshallmy guess is he wants two seperate circuits so it would be like two channels.  if you have the loop clipping on, and then turn on the ground clipping it you will lose some volume for sure.  It makes sense to me.
I would have the feedback loop clipper first in line so when you use both the mellower FB loop clipper would have a somewhat mellowing effect on the diode to ground clipper. Of course you would also have the option of turning them on or off seperately with a 3PDT for each(wired like a Z.Vex SuperDuper2N1)

Regards

RDV

Brian Marshall

Quote from: RDV
Quote from: Brian Marshallmy guess is he wants two seperate circuits so it would be like two channels.  if you have the loop clipping on, and then turn on the ground clipping it you will lose some volume for sure.  It makes sense to me.
I would have the feedback loop clipper first in line so when you use both the mellower FB loop clipper would have a somewhat mellowing effect on the diode to ground clipper. Of course you would also have the option of turning them on or off seperately with a 3PDT for each(wired like a Z.Vex SuperDuper2N1)

Regards

RDV

If you do it right, it would be a really cool versitile pedal.  you might want to actually reduce the gain, by using a smaller cap to ground the feedback loop on the first stage.  it would reduce gain on the lower frequncies, and allow you to overdrive the 2nd stage without getting muddy.