Star Grounding a Telecaster (RG?)

Started by phillip, January 24, 2004, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip

I was going to install some new Seymour Duncan pickups in my new MIM Tele...a Quarter Pound in the neck and a Little '59 in the bridge, and I'm also going to shield all the control cavities with conductive adhesive-backed copper foil from Stewmac.  

While I was at it, I figured that I might as well employ star grounding to help reduce hum.  I know that I should only use this technique with the signal ground wires, and not the shield grounds (neck pickup cover and bridge).

The question is...could I "star ground" the signal ground wires, and only the signal ground wires, to the back of the volume pot, and then put the shield ground wires (from the bridge and neck pickup cover) somewhere else...like the back of the tone pot?  Would this technique still be considered star grounding and function as such?

TIA!
Phillip

phillip

Like this:

Note:  The switch shown here is the Fender 4-Way Tele mod switch to add an extra switching combination...neck and bridge in series.  I also didn't draw the ground wire from the bridge here, but we'll assume that it's soldered to the back of the tone pot ;)

Phillip

LH

Have you checked out the Tele shielding tutorial at GuitarNuts? I don't think a star ground is used in that particular tutorial, but there might be other useful information.

phillip

Yes, I got the inspiration for the shielding and star grounding from GuitarNuts :)

Phillip