my new enclosures , troubledvariance

Started by troubledtom, January 26, 2004, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troubledtom

first, i'd like to thank' hair force one ' , for his kindness and willingness to help me out. i still may take him up on it  :D
    but for now i'm having custom enclosures made locally. i'm surprised
many have not done this allready on the forum.
   if you want a bunch of small ones made it's not a good choice money wise. if you want big ones made it's not that much more. in the long run.
1'm having 2 sizes made 1............  10 by 5 , 2 high.      
2..........  20 by 5 , 2 high. made from 13G alum.
  i get the first proto type in a day or 2 :D
         i can't wait!!!!!!!
             backordered and hitting it hard,
                       - tom pollock
         www.troubledvariance.com

troubledtom

troubledtom

ExpAnonColin

Triple bump!

I'll consider looking around locally, it's a good idea. I checked at the hardware/farm stores, and there was nothing too fun.

-Colin

mattv

Well Sir, those are big boxes!  :D

Don't keep us waiting for pictures! BTW, how'd you locate someone that makes this sort of thing??

troubledtom

i hit all the sheet metal workers , told them i was makeing fx and wanted some boxes made. of course they said " what?" . so i brought some of my stuff down and they said,' we still don't know what you're making but so and so can do that'.
     so i went to the place w/ my stuff and they asked the size i wanted i wanted and that was it. next i'll hit'm w/ sloped boxes :twisted:
             peace,
                 - tom

Mark Hammer

Years ago, my dad, who had a small machine/tool&die shop, was asked to machine a control panel for a large studio mixer.  I assume the client was going to install their own custom channel strips into it.  He had absolutely no idea what he was making but he made it.  The board was for Le Studio at Morin Heights north of Montreal, where a number of top-selling albums of the time, including albums by Nazareth and Supertramp, were made.

At some point, the metal workers who went "Huh?" are going to be able to have their kids point to the CD and say "My dad made pedals for that guy".

Nice thought.

moosapotamus

Sign shops might be another possible source for having enclosures made. Places that make illuminated box signs and the types of individual illuminated letters that you see in shopping malls have all the right equipment and do all kinds of sheet metal work. Lot's are small, family, mom & pop operations that might be likely to give you a good deal, too. :)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

EdJ

Tom,
about a year agon i bought a chassis for my,then to build ax84Renegade,
i had to pay 50 Euri for it.
It is made of 3mm aluminium with welded sides and flaps bended sidewards for attatching it to a wooden box.
It also had a bottom plate,3mm.
When i asked why it was so expensive i was,of course,told one offs ARE expensive.
Anyway,i asked a bit further and was told that in quantities the price would be about a tenth.Even with all the holes drilled(well not drilled actually but you know what i mean).
It occurred to me that by that time a chasis for an amp,welded,costed about the same world wide,excluding the 3rth world countries.
And finally i am getting to what i wanted to tell you;the guy i bought the chassis from has much of his former production made in Vietnam now.
If you want i can ask for the companies name and the names of people you could adress to.
Greetings,Ed

troubledtom

coooooooool,
   you know , metal fab places are in just about every city. some of you will likely have better luck than i did. i live in the mountains of tn. BFE if you know what that means.
  get some graphpaper and draw up a design. do it, pick up the phone book and make a few calls, get a few leads and hit the ground running.
       c'mon , i'm in nowheresville if i can do it so can you! 8)  :twisted:  :P  :twisted:
:!:          peace,
                 - tom pollock

troubledtom

hi EdJ
 thanx for the input. if you'd like to get that info, that would be very nice of you.
   i would prefer to keep stuff local . it's great for local bizz and good for the economy. bizz's in the usa are folding up left and right. it's not like i need 10,000 boxes made, YET :twisted:
                 peace,
                      - tom

Marcus Dahl

That is a great idea. I think that there are a couple of places here in Sparta and in Cookeville that I could look into. I've also been thinking about finding a powder coater, and maybe using a car painting company for a few custom paint jobed pedals. Those are good thoughts of yers Tom. and I'm not to far from your little place in BFE. I feel like I'm on an island in the sea and I have to go to Nashville to do anything. At least I've got Cookeville at 15min from me and I can get some things from there.
Marcus Dahl

EdJ

Tom,i wil get the info for you.
i understand your point of vieuw but you never know;maybe you will need 100 000 in the future:)
Also i made up my mind about giving casting aluminium a try,i have played with the thought for a long while and i am convinced it can be done in my back garden now.
I am going to make a few plaster models and expiriment with it this summer,
it is going to be low output(that is if i can get it done right)but the good thing is that i can get the aluminium for free.
Talking about low population areas:the village i live in has less then 400 people living in it.
Greetings<Ed

Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

Marcus Dahl

the village i live in has less then 400 people living in it.
Greetings<Ed[/quote]

Cool. The town that my mom comes from (Bragg City, MO) now has a popultion of about 2-300. It was a farming town and the population used to be around 600. Her high school graduating class had 15 or 20 people in it.  :shock:  
Mine graduating class in high school had about 1500.
Marcus Dahl

sfr

EdJ - keep us posted on the casting aluminum thing - I was researching it once, and it definetly looked do-able - I saw a few sights for guys making custom castings for aluminum parts for old cars (side mirror holders and things) and was also thinking it'd be neat to get into.  I found a few old time-life type books on metal working that had some info.  Are you talking about sand casting?  My only question was where to get supplies, although I talked to an artist in town that makes wierd metal stuff and he may have some of the facilities for what's needed - even if the price is more than a hammond, it'd be cool to be able to cast in neat shapes like hte Klon box or something (not saying to ape their design, it's just cool to have a box that's a little different, and that sense of "i did it myself" is fun) anyway - I don't really have space or time, but it'd be cool to see what other folk come up with.
sent from my orbital space station.