Hahaha, check out what is said on this datasheet:

Started by ExpAnonColin, January 26, 2004, 07:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpAnonColin

QuoteThe HT8950 provides two special effects: Vibrato and Robot. The Vibrato effect is generated                     by alternating the frequency of an input signal up and down at a rate of 8Hz. The Robot function,                     on the other hand, converts an input voice into a Robot voice.

Whodathunk that the robot function would convert to a robot voice?   :?

:lol:  :lol:

-Colin

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

Sic

Lol, how technical... rofl...

reminds me, a couple years ago i was reading the "directions" on a box of laundry detergent... it said "Step 3: The Most Important Step.... put clothes in washer"

Who would have thought??? heh :p

Phorhas

QuoteThe Robot function, on the other hand, converts an input voice into a Robot voice.

Very technical indeed... :)
Electron Pusher

smoguzbenjamin

My cheap (broken) soldering iron manual:

1) Insert the plug into the mains outlet
2) Wait for the soldering iron to get warm before welding??

:shock: Very wierd indeed...
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Samuel

Instructions for the toaster oven I got recently:

4) Place item to be cooked in heated oven. Watch for doneness.

runmikeyrun

How about the directions that come with some foods...
1. remove wrapper
2. place in microwave
3. enjoy.

come on!!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Samuel

I was just amazed that a technical writer for Black and Decker got all poetic license up in that and invented a word. I mean, more power to them, but "doneness" surprised me.

blabj

on a packet of a beef burger... called 0 - tasty in 70 seconds;
step 5. heat for 80 seconds
:lol:
callum
Callum
www.By-Default.co.uk :D

Samuel

It may be 0-tasty in 70 seconds, but it's 0-"no longer able to strike you stone dead with e. coli" in 80 seconds.

Mark Hammer

Seven years ago, I was teaching at a junior college, and one of the courses I was asked to teach was a sort of everything-you-need-to-know-to-survive-in-the-working-world.  We covered it all, from writing effective resumés to job interviews to dealing with harassment to supervising to making career decisions.  The course was taught to a bizarre mix of computer science students (the brunt of whom were guys) and secretarial students (the brunt of whom were middle-aged Aboriginal women and never said anything in class).

Although there was a sort of course syllabus, I decided I would insert a unit on writing documentation and instructions.  I figured that the software guys would most certainly never receive more training in that area than I was about to give them, and the future secretaries would still need to write office memos about the busted photocopier, etc., which shares a lot more in common with software documentation than you'd think.

Always the psychologist, I approached it from a cognitive science perspective.  As a class exercise, I wheeled in a laptop and video projector, and we worked on collaboratively writing documentation for something I figured everyone would know well, too well in fact (which sort of duplicates the documentation-writing scenario for a lot of people, and the source of a lot of bad documentation or instruction manuals).  One year we wrote documentation for Scrabble, and the next year we did Monopoly.

It was, in a nutshell, VERY hard for them to do.  The thing they had the hardest time wrapping their heads around was a single question:  "What does the reader need to know NOW!" (in the sense of "now" being this particular point in their grasp of the software/product/procedure) and its constant companion "What does the reader/user not necessarily understand yet?".  They were all in a hurry to move on to the fancy stuff, none of which would make any sense to the person starting out.  They also neglected providing any perspective at the outset (in the sense of "What is it you are trying to, or likely to want to do, with this software/product/process?").  "Should this information be here, or can it be more informative if we hold off on it?" I'd ask them, and coming to any sort of answer was quite challenging for them.  If I recall correctly, one of their choices of bonus questions on the exam, amidst all the other stuff, was to critique the help file provided with WINZIP.

Ironic, isn't it, how instructions and documentation are never really treated as being as essential to product use as product design.  Though they *are* humorous, none of the examples listed surprise me.

Prive

Sorry, can you explain me better the steps?????

Thanks

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

ExpAnonColin

On the popcorn I'm eating right now:

DO NOT overcook as popcorn will scorch.

Overcooking leads to scorching?  Did I miss something in chemistry? Common sense, even?

-Colin

Brian Marshall

this is by far the most useful thread i have read today :wink:

John Egerton

Don't get me started with these things! I see them all the time...

Example

On the label on some 3-6 year olds Tixylix cough medicine : Warning, not to be taken whilst driving or operating heavy machinery....

Jeez, someone better stop thouse 4 year old from operating the forklifts while they have a cough...

Printed on the bottom of a Heinz microwave desert "Do not turn upside down"

Printed on the bottom of some sweedish swimming pools "No smoking"

Printed on a microwave lasange "Warning, product will be hot after heating"

Printed on a bag of KP nuts "Warning. May contain nuts"

They better or I want my money back!

Included with instruction manual of a chainsaw over in Sweeden
"Warning! Do not attempt to stop chain with hands or genitals"

My god! Was this actually happening!?

Printed on a bag of nuts on an aeroplane "Directions, open bag, eat nuts"

John...
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

wampcat1

Quote from: runmikeyrunHow about the directions that come with some foods...
1. remove wrapper
2. place in microwave
3. enjoy.

come on!!!

the sad part is that they put those directions on there because somebody SOMEWHERE needed them! :D