trim pot + bread board = X-(

Started by Brian Marshall, January 27, 2004, 01:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Marshall

anyone know of any trimpots that will fit in to bread board holes.  i bough some off of mouser, but they dont quite fit, and i think they would dammage my bread board if i made them.  

I suppose i could solder some short leads to them.

Ansil

i had this problem some time ago. what i didwas solder some leads to them but i also drilled some holes in a piece of trim board like for te molding around you floor.  and droped the parts down in there.

aron

Brian,

I do what Ansil did. Solder leads to them.

Brian Marshall

I actually put about 12 trim pots on one piece of perf with long leads, but its too confusing to use, and too messy

Mark Hammer

The little "steering wheel" type trimpots have legs that are a little too stubby for fitting into breadboards.  A number of companies make square trimpots with a little flat screwdriver adjustment slot and legs that are about the same diameter as resistor leads.

aron

Quote from: Mark HammerThe little "steering wheel" type trimpots have legs that are a little too stubby for fitting into breadboards.  A number of companies make square trimpots with a little flat screwdriver adjustment slot and legs that are about the same diameter as resistor leads.

Mark,

I'm not sure if the leads are long enough. I have some of those and it was very unclear whether the leads touched the contacts beneath.

Well, at least the ones I had.

gez

I use those mini ones that aren't much bigger than a screwdriver's head.  A bit fiddly to tune but they fit fine on the breadboard.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mark Hammer

Aron,

I wish I could remember who made them, but years ago I bought some trimpots that looked like a horizontal thumbwheel pot from the top and they had three in-line leads that were actually about an inch or so long, 1/10" spaced (perfect for perfboarding), and the diameter of resistor leads.