paint baking warning

Started by DaveB, January 27, 2004, 03:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveB

Hey,
FYI, Just as a warning, do not bake Rustoleum fastdrying auto primer. I tried it and it released some of the most noxious fumes I had ever encountered.

-David

Brian Marshall

I'm still wating for someone to burn down their house.  Not that i wish that on someone, but it's bound to happen eventually.

I used to actually put cans of spray paint in a toaster oven to warm themm up on cold days.

Marcus Dahl

The Cherry Red Duplicolor paint is gawd awful too. It starts off smelling terrible, but becomes worse when put in the oven.

I also have to heat my paint up, but I set it next to my radiator heater. I also use it to dry my enclosures after washing them.  :D
Marcus Dahl

dan

i have to put my paint on the heater vents for a while. man, it was -10 today in kansas.
-Dan

RDV

70 in Florida! Just thought I'd rub,..er...throw that in!

Regards

RDV

Marcus Dahl

Quote from: dani have to put my paint on the heater vents for a while. man, it was -10 today in kansas.

You know you can get a toaster oven at Wal-Mart for about $25. It makes things easier.
Marcus Dahl

petemoore

The HOT Water heater [under the sink type] that spews 190 defree water out...just enough while shaking between to get it warmed up and that works [retty good...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brett

Hi.  It's about 90 degrees (32 celsius) here in subtropical Australia.

My comment regarding oven drying is that some paints leave such a stink in the oven that I hate putting good food in there lest it get "tainted".  

Fortunately, it's summer here, and boxes (especially dark colours) can reach 140F just by placing them in the sun to dry, so no oven necessary!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Marcus Dahl

I don't put food in these toaster ovens. They would be a little tangy. During the summer here in Tennessee a tractor trailer trailer can reach about 120F degrees. About 95F is average if it's really hot out. Of course it's winter here and my Weather Bug program is telling me it's 22F. That's not to good for drying boxes. Especially dark Rustolium Hammered paints.
Marcus Dahl

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: brettHi.  It's about 90 degrees (32 celsius) here in subtropical Australia. it's summer here, and boxes (especially dark colours) can reach 140F just by placing them in the sun to dry, so no oven necessary!
that's true, but unless you like your box covered in dead flies..

Xlrator

Wintertime paint booth in my basement. Works well in the summertime, too. I just have to keep spiders off of it.

I painted a motorcyle frame in this method a couple winters ago. Used  more than one heater. Heat the object to be paited first (not real hot, just warm) then spray, and put in front of the heater.

There shouldn't be that high of a risk of flashover down when using electric heaters/ovens. As long as the VOC is low. If you can still breath alright  :wink: If you experience difficulty breathing  :shock:

Listen to cKy!

Bill_F

Quote from: brettHi.  It's about 90 degrees (32 celsius) here in subtropical Australia.

Below zero in Southeast England. Just got done with a major snowball fight with my kid. Sometimes cold is not so bad!

Bill

petemoore

I do all the painting outside these days. That includes any drying and bake/drying.
 I had 'nuff 'o them fumes already to last me a lifetime. You should talk to my old auto shop buddy that never used a mask...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.