Noise Swash, Finished, sort of

Started by thumposaurus, January 29, 2004, 11:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumposaurus

I finished this last night but it has a slight problem, it works, but output is quite low, and it only actually works when the self-osc pot is all the way up, I thought maybe it wasn't grounding properly so I went ahead and boxed it up,

Now the one thing that I did do wrong was I accidently made the PCB backwards, not sure if it would affect anything, but I did double and triple check it as I went.
Box still needs lables, and knobs, but untill it's working 100% those will have to wait.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Samuel

did you double check that the IC pins ended up with the right connections? Only thing I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure it's no consolation, but I finished one up this past weekend. It is a monster. Haven't had time to properly mess with it, yet...

Samuel

thumposaurus

Well I went over the whole thing with a magnify glass, and for the life of me don't know what's going on so I am going to tear it all apart and start over with a new PCB I think this one might have etched wierd. The box, yeah it's just a normal steel outlet box from home depot the silver dots are actually knock-out plugs, they kinda just pop into place, and then I beat the be-jesus out of them on the back side to fold the little tabs over so they won't come out, it's alot easier then trying to braze/jb weld them in place, and the plugs are easier to drill through.  The box looks better in real life too, in the picture you can't see the little sparkles in the base coat too well. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to lable it, probably just going to handwrite around the rims of the silver dots, and the seal it with some krylon or something.

troubledtom

it's hard to trouble shoot a curcuit that is not made correctly and not in front of me. i made a circuit backwards one time and i had to put the IC's on the trace side of the board and it worked fine.
  i'm more than willing to try to help you. if the pin out of the IC"s are not right we don't even have a starting point.
  make sure the ic's are getting power and ground to the right pins w/ your
multimeter or scope.
    then let me know what you come up w/.  8)
                  peace,
                      - tom

troubledtom

well............?
             - t

jimbob

what kind of paint and undercoating did u use?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

troubledtom

jimbob

brand / type? looks great--I know i can stand to use a lotsa help in the painting and finishing dept.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

troubledtom

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

thumposaurus

Was at work all day, I actually am off tommorrow so I'll have a go at it then take some readings and get back to you.
The finish is actually powder-coating, the base coat is a silver sparkle and the top coat is a candy blue.
It's a little more of a cash outlay to begin with but the results are alot better than paint, easier to use too once you figure out how to prep the piece right and the correct pressure to use, and all.

thumposaurus

finished re-doing the board tonight, I still was using a backwards layout but I surface mounted everything except the wires, those I drilled holes for and it actually made it a lot easier to wire up.  Imagine my suprise when it worked the first time.
This thing is insane... :shock:
Now to finish the box.

troubledtom

very cool, glad to hear it  8)
       peace,
           - tom

thumposaurus

Got it labled and put back together, stupid flash on the camera messed up the self-osc lable.  Still needs some knobs, but I have a pile of old CB's that I am going to go through and pull pot's switches whatever else is useful out of bound to be some thing that will work on one of them.

and a nice close up of the reversed PCB and my creative constuction.