Dance Electra Debugging

Started by DaKurt, January 31, 2004, 08:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKurt

yepp, that's a real problem, that they cost so much :(

Do I need 3DPT or can I also use DPDT switches?
And I really can't find these footswitches here, where I live. Also the biggest company, Conrad Electronics doesn't have them. That sucks...

smoguzbenjamin

Well, a 3PDT will let you switch the LED mechanically, that's a lot simpler, and usually isn't that much more expensive to buy a 3PDT. My local man only sells DPDT footswitches, and I use a millenium type LED switch :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

GuitarLord5000

So how would I go about reducing the amplification range of my tranny?  If im not mistaken, my resistor on my emitter is still above the recommended range of 680 ohms recommended for this circuit.  I dunno.  Im going to the Shack today and I'm gonna buy some 680 ohm resistors and a frigging breadboard so that I dont run into these problems again.  I've ruined 2 small perfboards (and I really like those small radio shack perfboards  :(  ) and a slew of good components in the past couple of days because of projects that dont come out right.  Hell, Im still having problems with my Big Daddy from runoffgroove!  I think i might have a problem of incorrect biasing on that one too.
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

smoguzbenjamin

The amplification range is fixed as the trannies' specs. Try a different transistor and make sure you got the pinout right!!! :D
A larger emitter resistor = less gain and it could misbias the transistor so yes, get a breadboard (very handy) and some 680 ohm resistors.

Sometimes, different parts make a big difference without your knowledge, but it's like saying "I baked a cake but I used salt instead of sugar, and now it tastes like crap! What the hell happened?" ;)

GuitarLord5000

Yeah, I realize now how much a difference between something as seemingly insignifigant as a 10k and 15k resistor can be.  However, I enjoy the experimental aspect of my projects and with all the help on this site, Im really learning a LOT.  By socketing most everything on my circuits, I get a lot of variables that I can change to change the sound of it.  Currently, I've got this circuit sounding very Santana-esque!  Not a whole lot of distortion, but very clean sounding.  I appreciate all the info Ben.   :) I realized that I had a combination of problems and fixed them.  Now everything is okee dokee!
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

aron

Remember that you can use 2 or more resistors in serial (end to end) to get the desired resistance.

Use 2 or more if you can't find a certain resistor.

smoguzbenjamin

you're welcome guitarlord ;) A circuit sometimes doesn't have 1 error, but 100's so it's hard to figure out. Have you got a DMM yet? Because that will seriously help you out with debugging.

GuitarLord5000

DMM= Digital Multi Meter?

If so, then not yet.  I plan to as soon as I figure out how to use one to help me.  It sure would be a BIG help if someone who had the time would post a generic tutorial on the Digital Multi Meter and its function concerning stompbox building.