OT: Yamaha DG Stomp

Started by swangor, January 31, 2004, 08:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swangor

Hey,

Please don't hate me! (LOL)

I just bought a DG stomp -- digital out the wazzu.  I'm sure that make some analog purists cringe.  Sorry.  And the fact that there are many good schems and stuff out there make the DIY'er cringe -- sorry again.  But I like it alot.

I like building a lot, but I just haven't had the time to invest in researching all the projects I want, breadboarding them to perfection and building them out.  Plus I love the idea of patches, I still like the idea of multiple settings of one effect just a single press away.

Anyway, It solved a lot my needs right away, and I can now build when I have time to do it right.  Right now my time is scarce -- wife, 3 kids, work, and school.  So it seemed like the right choice for me.

Anyone else using the DG stomp?  It's okay to confess.  Everybody can flame me for my fall from narrow path (lol).  I was just curious what anybody's thoughts were about it good or bad.

Thanks,

Rob S.

smoguzbenjamin

Whatever suits your needs ;) But analog is still better ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

swangor

Yeah,

I think analog definately has its benefits.

I was just curious if anyone else id using the DG Stomp at all?

Thanks,
Rob S.

petemoore

I tried at least four brands of A/D converter >Processor >D/A converter type ekftors, everything they had in two stores here, and took an RP100 home.
 It was definitely enlightening to me to have all these efkts in one unit, and was able to sample ones I'd not yet heard of, or didn't understand the function of like Env. Filter. I used it during recording for a while and have some cool tapes.
 since I personally didn't notice a huge difference between like priced processors, I thought this might count..what do you think?
 What price range is your Processor?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

swangor

Hi petemoore,

I Purchased My DG Stomp for $240.  I'm sure there are better prices for it, but I bought it local.

I don't think I looked at that one, but I tried the Zoom's and Korg's and found them to be noisy on the high gain setting, and tinny sounding.  They sucked the bass from your instrument big time -- specially the Zoom stuff I tried.

The Yamaha DG Stomp is sounding real nice, but I haven't had much time with it yet.  I'll play with it some more today.

How does your RP100 sound?  Anything you like / dislike?

I like the able to access many features directly at the pedal -- there are a zillion knobs and buttons on this thing.  No Menu surfing -- in most cases you can just turn the right knob to adjust the parameter.

What I don't like is there is no Bypass, but I guess I could just build a Patch with all effects off.  I also don't like that you can't turn off the preamp without going into the utilites section -- I hate menus.  Plus it doesn't get saved with the patch. It is a global setting.  I guess I'll have to build a bypass box or something down the road.  But I guess I can't have everything.

Thanks,

Rob S.

Doug H

I've been curious about that vox unit that uses the tubes. Something about that appeals to me but I'm not sure what... Anyone try that one out?

Hey, whatever gets you your sound, I say.

Doug

swangor

Hi Doug H,

I haven't tried the VOX unit yet but I do have a VOX Practice AMP that is pretty good.  It is a hybrid Tranny -- Tube thing with a tremelo built it.

The tremelo cuts pretty deep, but I had to return my first purchase for the floor model they had because the tremelo on the one I bought was weak compared to the floor model and it had a rattle inside somewhere that could be tamed easily.  But the amp I have works pretty well.  Unfortunatly, If I turn it up REAL loud and play my open A string their is a rattle in the case -- I haven't had time to track it down.  Fortunalty, I don't usually play it cranked so I don't encounter the problem in normal use -- just found it on a fluke because the first one rattles so bad that I tested this one pretty intensly.

Anyway, I might have to stop by the local music store and give the VOX a whirl -- if they have it in stock.  Maybe they will have the RP100 that petemoore spoke of.

Thanks,
Rob S.

Ge_Whiz

I have the RP100, and like it a lot. It's much better than the Zoom multi-effects, IMHO. The reverb models are particularly good (which is actually what i bought it for), but the distortions ("amp models"), like most digital units, are pretty poor. The only one I can get a decent sound out of is the "Hot Rod" setting. Also, I've found it difficult to balance up the various presets volume-wise. This is a lot easier with the later models, so the RP200 with it's built-in expression pedal (essential for wah and whammy) is probably worth the extra cost.

aron

I tried the DG stomp when it first came out. This was the first unit and I wasn't impressed although a lot of other people were. I felt it sounded "dry" to me, but it got rave reviews in Guitar Player.

Although a lot of people absolutely hate the POD, I have gotten many good sounds out of it. I don't like the way it "feels", but for a quick and fast time-saving recording, it's been a money maker for me.

Perhaps it's because I had the first unit POD and worked with it so much; I found it easier to record with than the DG which my friend had.

They are just tools to me and different colors. I use anything if it applies.

ErikMiller

I have a guilty pleasure, which is the signal processor built into my Yamaha CS6X synthesizer.

It has an input jack for processing external signals, and I callled up one of the canned "distorted amp" patches and plugged my guitar directly in (impedance nightmare no doubt).

Definitely has that turn of the '80's processed to within an inch of its life vibe. Chunka chunka chunka.

Fun to play Guitar Deity....

Gerben

I confess....

I have one and use it often with the coverband I play in. Do I need mental help?  
I use it with a Marshall 8008 Valvestate poweramp and 2 Kitty Hawk 1x12" loaded with Celestion Vintage 30. I just want to be flexible with having access to different sounds and levels and different pedals just don't cut it for me. Don't get me wrong: My DIY Dumble and Marshall 2003 with some of my DIY pedals are much better sounding.
However for tonal flexibility, portability and considering the total price it cost me ( Euro 300 for the DG (new),Euro 130 for the Marshall and Euro 75 for the speakers): i like my setup.

Having owned a Pod and Boss GT-5, I can say that i feel the DG-stomp is best 'digital-do-it-all' i have tried so far (I have tried the digital Vox amps and they are nice as well, I don't like any of the hyper Digitech stuff)). I think the 'feel' when playing live is better than the Line 6 stuff (haven't tried the Vetta). I esp. like the Drive 2 (modern Marshall) and Clean 2
However, Yamaha didn't get the speaker emulation right and the Pod beats it in the DI department (I use Amplitube as a VST Plugin nowadays).

So far

Gerben

aron

Quote from: ErikMillerI have a guilty pleasure, which is the signal processor built into my Yamaha CS6X synthesizer.

It has an input jack for processing external signals, and I callled up one of the canned "distorted amp" patches and plugged my guitar directly in (impedance nightmare no doubt).

Definitely has that turn of the '80's processed to within an inch of its life vibe. Chunka chunka chunka.

Fun to play Guitar Deity....

Alright Erik!!!!!

I have a CS6X as well. I've never used the A/D in for guitar. I need to try it. The impedance should be fine, it's switchable between mic and line - anyway it is designed for guitar too.

Hmmmm. I will try it soon.

Aron

JohnM

I owned a DG-Stomp for a year and finally sold it.  Yes, it has good sounding effects (stereo) and you can get good sounds out of it.  Clean sounds were very good.  But, for me there were too many other negatives (IMO).

1.  I would not say it's like a POD or other device because it has 8 "models" that basically have the same character but with more or less gain.  If you like the character, then great.  I did not.

2.  The user interface is not intuitive.  Switching between patches was funky.

3.  While it does have all the modulation effects, they are all built in to 1 effect stage whose parameters are controlled by 1 group of knobs.  Two of these parameter "knobs" are accessed by pushing one of the other knobs.  The parameters change every time you change effects, so you get lost.  Didn’t like it.  There is something to be said for having individual little boxes that you can tweak.  In fact, I think that is what lead me to the DIY stompbox world...  :wink:

4.  My stompbox didn’t sound good in front of it.  Plus, no effects loop or aux input, if I remember correctly.

On the plus side, it allowed me to play more because I, too, have a family and limited time.

-John

swangor

Hey Gerben

I'm glad to hear you like it.  I really like it too.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

your setup sounds pretty cool.

Hey aron,
QuoteThey are just tools to me and different colors. I use anything if it applies.
Thanks aron, we work with so much analog diy stuff here that I was feeling a little guilty about talking about a digital device.  I feel the same way, but I like many of the diy effects and its cool to tweak a project to get the most out of it.  It make the project truly yours.

Hey Johnm,
Quote3. While it does have all the modulation effects, they are all built in to 1 effect stage whose parameters are controlled by 1 group of knobs. Two of these parameter "knobs" are accessed by pushing one of the other knobs. The parameters change every time you change effects, so you get lost. Didn’t like it. There is something to be said for having individual little boxes that you can tweak. In fact, I think that is what lead me to the DIY stompbox world...  

4. My stompbox didn’t sound good in front of it. Plus, no effects loop or aux input, if I remember correctly.
It is limited it that you can only arrange 3 different effects before changing banks which requires multiple presses -- yuck.  But if you want more flexibility you can always go midi and add another controller, but I guess that might start to get pricey if you don't have the equipment on hand.

You are right, there are no effects loops or aux inputs.

Thanks,
Rob S

Gerben

OK OK

Another reason i like the Stomp is  because it has footswitches like my homemade stompboxes! :P

Because I couldn't resist, I modded my DG Stomp a bit:

1. Reduced the noise and hum by disconnecting all the Midi and Digital connections that share the signal ground. THere was an good tutorial on thsi by a guy named Armin. I'm not able  to find it on the web (he still has a forum running: type "DG Stomp mods" in Google and you get there). Basically you must isolate all the midi and digital connections from the housing and on the PCB.
Only needed when you use  alot of high gain sounds. Listen to lead1, full gain, with the vol-pot on the guitar on zero. If there's hum you might try this mod but be sure that you get all the info before trying this

2. Different led's for different sounds/channels. In every bank i have a selection of clean/drive/more drive which have resp. a green/orange/red led. Easy when playing in dim situations and has a great psychological effect ("I'm red now! Make room, make room!" ). If you try this mod, stay away from the blue led's, they don't work.

3. The High/low input switch has quite a dramatic difference in sensetivity. THe switch switches between 2 different series-resistors. I placed a resisitor parralel with the resistor used in the low mode and so upping the sensetivity (do i spell this correct?). This keeps the clean sounds from overdriving and makes it possible to get nice crunch/almost clean sound from Drive2.

4.I use a homemade double Mosfet-boost for my solos in a matching psycho red color (not really a mod) because i found this the most flexibel  way to make my solos cut tru the band when needed. The max-output from the DG STomp is not too much (My GT-5 had more output).

That's it!

Gerben