"Prepared" Guitar

Started by toneless, January 31, 2004, 09:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toneless

Well,this is not a topic about stompboxes but "prepared" guitar is a great way to experiment with new aproaches and create a lot of unorthodox sounds that along with some f/x there are no limits...

Mark Hammer has a great article in his site (Device 1) about "prepared" guitars and i wanted to know if anyone is using this kind of style for getting his sound.
Any good tips???

Some books that may help:
Tricks and special effects by Ethan Fiks
The guitar f/x cookbook by Chris Amelar

Nick

Rodgre

I'm not familiar with that Mark Hammer piece, but I quickly wanted to talk about my "prepared guitar" technique that I used to do when I was a kid. I didn't have many effects and for some reason I was determined to make the guitar sound as strange as possible.

I came up with a neat form of "psuedo ring modulator" effect by putting small pieces of transparent tape on each guitar string, usually somewhere around the neck pickup, to choke the tone a little bit (short decay) but it also has the effect of hitting a harmonic wherever the tape it (try the 24th fret) and when you fret notes, it gives this interesting dissonant effect.

I haven't tried it in a while, but I might next time I plug in. It sounded particularly cool with an Electric Mistress, if I recall. It worked cool in conjunction with the "filter matrix" setting, or maybe any short short delay with some regeneration. Very Adrian Belew.

Roger

bwanasonic

Alligator clips placed at various points near the bridge make some great ring-mod like sounds that range from demented banjo to gamelan on glue. Listen to Marc Ribot and Eugene Chadbourne for inspiration.

Kerry M

smoguzbenjamin

Try a piece of pipe cleaner weaved in between your strings at the bridge. Sounds very sitar-like on my guitar 8)

http://members.tripod.com/~MarkHendu/Noise.html - Many noise makers there ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

toneless

updated books for "prepared guitar" :

1)Prepared guitar Techniques by Peter Yates and Matthew Elgart
2)Tricks and special effects by Ethan Fiks
3)The guitar f/x cookbook by Chris Amelar
4)(Device 1) from Craig Andertone at Mark Hammer's site

Nick

Johan

not something you need to prepare for, but still... pull the low E-string over the A-string ( around the fifth fret ) so that they cross and hit them both...makes a bellike sound...old Mikael Schenker trick...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

bwanasonic

Quote from: Johannot something you need to prepare for, but still... pull the low E-string over the A-string ( around the fifth fret ) so that they cross and hit them both...makes a bellike sound...old Mikael Schenker trick...

Johan

Actually it's a classical guitar technique that has been used for at least a century. More commonly the G and D are crossed for a *snare* like percussive sound. Old Segovia trick :wink:

Kerry M

Johan

cool..i didnt know that....
DON'T PANIC