How Many Use The Chat Room?

Started by Sic, February 02, 2004, 12:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

I never see anyone in there, just a couple of people that were in there... someone suggested to start advertizing the chat room... so this is my contribution.

-
Sic[/i]

ErikMiller

I've had some fun in it; I think the only way to get people in there would be to have some indication on the forum index page that there are people in chat. Otherwise, I forget about it, and assume (usually correctly) that there's nobody there.

Guess I'll slip on over and see if you're there....

Sic

Xlrator

Dang! How long has there been a chatroom? I must be going deaf, dumb, and blind!
Listen to cKy!

Sic

up at the top where it says, diystompboxes.com aron's stompbox forum... look at all that stuff there... there is a button that says chat CHAT[/url]

Marcos - Munky

I use the chat sometimes, but a indicator of who is chatting will help a lot. I enter only when somebody pm me and wants to chat, because is hard to know when people will enter in the chat without the indicator.

Peter Snowberg

:idea: An indicator of how many people are using chat is on the way. :idea:

Look for it by the end of the week. :D

I've used it a little, but honestly I don't like the chat system at all. Something in Java would be a BIG step forward.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

Isn't the chat IRC-based? You could write an applet to use an IRC server on the diystompboxes.com hosting.  Is that an idea?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

smoguzbenjamin

By the way I think I was the one saying "advertise the chat room!" :roll: Lol, I never thought anyone would read that :mrgreen:.

The Tone God

I'm in the chat area on a regular basis when I'm working on something late a night. I don't think its used as much since the board switch over. There was a frame in the coner of the old forum that told you who was in there. Having this feature again I'm sure would be get more people in to the chat area again.

I think a Java is not a great idea. Yes the technology is better but from the perspective of simplicity and portabilty the web based version is good enough. It is kinda awkward but tolerable. IRC server stuff is bad idea I think as well.

I do think that a common chat time could be agreed upon for people to join in. Maybe a weekly chat session.

Andrew

smoguzbenjamin

Yeah, that would be good, but howabout one centered for US users and one for people on the other side of the globe. Like me in europe ;)

Ansil

what about stealing the code from yahoo mesenger..    not really but something on that line

petemoore

The bar that no-one goes in because theres no- one in there...
 The late night chats can be fun though...
 indicator would make it easier to know when it's 'happenin'...with all these different time zones my buddies live in...ya can't just say Ill see ya at 7...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

aron

There used to be code but it broke on this new server.

I will try again. I don't know why it doesn't work. rrrrrr!

Sic

a couple nights ago we had a few people in there and had some really good chats/discussions. It gives a little bit more personal communication, and it think it would be an asset to this site, if i can help in any way, lemme know

Leon@5secondrule.net

thanks,
Sic

Xlrator

I think IRC would be the way to go, but I use it quite often. People who don't have a client, ???? Once I saw IRC emulated through a webpage and it worked alright. How hard could that be?
Listen to cKy!