OT- finding new music

Started by Rodgre, February 03, 2004, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I know this is way off topic, but I honestly don't know where else I have such a varied group of "friends" that I can ask this question to.

How do you find new music to listen to?

Do you find it on the radio?
Do you find it in clubs?
Do you read reviews?
Do you read ads?
Do you find out by word of mouth?
Do you really not care to find new music?
???

I ask because I'm trying to get an idea of where to focus promoting a new CD. It's been a while since we released one, and the game has changed quite a bit. I know how I find new music, and I realize that I am by no means "typical."

So let's discuss!

Roger

MarkB

word of mouth
internet radio/streams
magazines/internet articles and reviews...

radio sucks where I live - and most other places now, too.... if  Clear Channel or Infinity aren't paying to get it on - it doesn't get on.

"-)

Kilby

Hmmm I find BBC Radio 6 is a useful source of stuff I havn't heard before

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/

Bruce Dickensons Freak Show is particularly eclectic.

BBC Radio 2 has a fairly good mix of jazz (1920's onward) and blues at various times through the week.

Or this site run by Marty Willson Piper (from The Church)

http://www.newspapertaxi.net

This site put me onto British Sea Power amongst others.

Now if only I could find a good source of late 70's early 80's Dub I would be happy.

Hope theres somthing of interest in the above.

Rob...

Apart from that I work with a lot of 'younger' people so I get a lot of CDs handed to me

Arno van der Heijden

-radio
-magazine articles and review
-downloading with filesharing programs (look for the Kazaa thread)

Rodgre

So the consensus so far is that you rarely find new bands by going to clubs and seeing them.

That's what I was afraid of. Why do bands bother playing then?

Unless you just love to play.

Roger

gez

For the best...and worst!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/mixingit.shtml

There's some good stuff in the archives (see 'select artists' list)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

RDV

Quote from: RodgreHow do you find new music to listen to?Roger
On your website!

Regards

RDV

MarkB

I used to catch a LOT of new bands by going and seeing them live... but the music scene around here is on a bit of a downswing - very few venues for live music... so I haven't seen much lately - but a few years ago, that would have been #1 for me.
"-)

Alex C

For me, the radio is mostly a way for me to find out what to dislike.  I quickly become very sick of most stuff I hear on the radio.  I can't remember the last time I heard something on the radio and thought, "Yeah, that's it!  I've gotta get this CD!"    

Magazines such as Guitar Player and GuitarOne siempre have excellent reviews of (and often interviews with) artists I've never heard of or never gave much thought to, and I learn about lots of new artists that way.

Alex

Please, no one answer "MTV!"

moosapotamus

I find that reviews are predominantly unreliable because everybody has their own personal likes and dislikes. Although, I do read reviews. But, will then go to, like, amazon.com, or some site where I can listen to clips or previews before getting economically involved. :wink:

I think finding good new music is tough. Radio sux, except for a few college stations at certain times of the day. When I lived in Philadelphia, I used to listen to WXPN a lot.

In addition to trying to promote CD sales by doing club gigs, hooking up with college radio stations might be a good way to go. I think you'd probably get exposed to a bigger audience, and it could lead to other work, too.

In addition to finding good music, I'd like to hear some ideas about how to find good musicians to play with. I was in a great band that played around the Boston area for about 2.5 years, only to break up a little over a year ago. How come musicians got to be so fickle. :P

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Lobster Magnet

Word of mouth
The Knitting Factory on the Jazz channel
allmusicguide.com

nightingale

i find alot of good stuff(new and old)in the rag "mojo"~
and alot of others from links of "band sites" that  i like.. if i like a band i will make sure to check out all of the other bands on the label.. mostly pschedelic indy rock labels like "bomp" or whatever..
hth
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

yano

The local university here plays a pretty good variety of things, normally though, its all some derivative of thrash metal or house music. The best way I've found to discover music is through other friends or new people I meet. The internet is helpful, but not really...

claydavis

word of mouth is probably the best, most convenient way to find new music. late night college radio (when most of the student-run shows air) is also a good place to find new stuff. as far as the internet, http://www.epitonic.com is an outstanding way to find something you probably haven't heard before. i think going to shows is still the most satisfying way to discover new music, though. it just feels adventurous.

Luke

personally, I hear about local band by word of mouth...and music from pay TV- Channel V, MTV (but MTV is usually only hip-hop- which is not my thing).
Sometimes, if I repeatedly hear of a band in guitar magazines I wil check them out- I remeber there was alot about Limp Bizkit in them in 1997- no one had heard of them here in oz at that stage- I had to order the CD (and hated it, I might add...)
Luke

Rodgre

I agree that word-of-mouth is the most reliable and most consistent way to find new music, but the problem is that I can't find out where the source is.

The elusive buzz.

Why have five different people that I work with in the studio all of a sudden started mentioning Eva Cassidy all of a sudden? I have yet to hear about her publicly, just from clients. She is the ultimate case in word-of-mouth buzz. I can't trace it back anywhere.

The new Shins CD.... I bought the first one because I saw it in the listening station at Borders and I listened because the blerb mentioned blah blah blah Beach Boys bolah blah blah... I liked it an bought it. Now they have a new one and it's becoming a very talked about CD. Lots of buzz as they say. I still haven't heard it on the radio or seen it on TV, other than on Conan.

I'm trying to gauge how best to promote a new CD. We haven't had a CD out in many years, and in the meantime, our label went out of business, indie music has changed, the importance of college radio has changed, and Coldplay have gotten famous playing the kind of music we were making fifteen years ago :)  

Roger

Nasse

:oops: I´m lucky to have teenage kids who listen music. Sometimes so loud I can hear it too. And sometimes I like what I hear. I had few occasions when I had to fake a "DJ" for some friends birthday parties and some kids dance partys because I had few lousy PA speakers and bass subwoofer and a microphone and some light equipment. Playing records at dancefloor volumes and listening what audience wants was exciting experience, well did find why some records were so popular...

I think demo record and active marketing of self made/paid small scale productions is very good for starting band, even lousy one demo is better than no record at all. You can always make next one better...Putting music on your website is difficult, if you play covers...
  • SUPPORTER

hair force one

get new music live in the local squat (lot of american super bands have performed there from , lately Deerhoof, Arab on Radar, Sufi Non Squad,  impressive spanish guys of Standstill, italian Allun girls and eastr=ern rythm sect Sabot, in the old years i've seen and discovered live in a cave like club hired by the local anarkists :  US Maple, God Is My Copilot, Girls VS Boys, and so on), there's always a gig here or there and i prefer pay gigmoney than had some plastic to the CD pile of Babel...

eversince i can remember radio's only a long suck-session ....

I discovered Guided By Voices on MTV UK! (that was long ago...)

I found buying bargain leftover CD's is a cool way to discover, just like the cover or it's on a record label i already know (made some major findings this way: Beat Hapening, Refrigerator, Codeïne, Sink, Los Natas, Demolition Doll Rods, etc....

Music talk/booze parties/café races somehow comes with the good stuff: i've been recommended lots of major gemmos (Heavy Vegetable/Pinback , Built to spill, Modest Mouse, Shudder to think, ...

A good record store is cool (mine is 80km away!)

Gringo

Quote from: hair force one
I found buying bargain leftover CD's is a cool way to discover, just like the cover or it's on a record label i already know (made some major findings this way: Beat Hapening, Refrigerator, Codeïne, Sink, Los Natas, Demolition Doll Rods, etc....

You like Natas?? They are great, i still can't believe they are from Arg!

Any good stoner band you (anyone) recomend?
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

Hal

this may sound stupid, but I found out about a bunch of bands in the notes of CDs.  The lists of bands that some of my favorite's "thank" at hte end of the album.  ALthough I wouldn't buy a CD off just that, i would download something to check them out.

I also find out a buch of bands when they play shows with bands i like....