OT- finding new music

Started by Rodgre, February 03, 2004, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

one of my friends is like those two dudes that hung out in the record shop in the movie High Fidelity.  He is really on top of all the styles of music that i'm into and he tells me about all of it.  

Aside from that, I don't get to clubs too often.  I rely on my employees at our skate shop to get me into the rest.

NPR:  I've been getting into old jazz and blues, like from the 30s and 40s.  I hear a lot at night and it's good.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

drew

I have problems finding new music myself (that I like) so I understand how this goes... People I know recommend bands to me but maybe 75% of the new stuff that comes out, indie stuff that's recommended by people I know, no less, I don't like. What's up with that?

I think there's a chronic overhyping problem going on, but that's a different story. Nobody just thinks bands are okay, they're great or they suck. What the heck?

At any rate... it's word of mouth. I catch up with friends I hardly ever talk to, and trade music notes with them. What an antisocial and decidedly weird way to find out about music... but it works okay for me.

And I never go see shows, though I don't know if this is typical or not... I maybe go to see bands I like 2-3 times a year. (seeing GBV here in a little while, saw portastatic last year, saw... uh... man, I can hardly remember...) The older you get, the less attractive going to a club for five hours to see a band that sucks while you huff on stale cigarette smoke sounds. And I'm not even old yet :)

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

Kilby

Heh,

Being a single parent without a childminder I would practically kill to watch a crap band in a club ;)

I'm afraid that I will have to put up with radio and internet sources for the next few years.

Rob...