OT Anyone still listen to actual records (vinyl)?

Started by Alex C, February 04, 2004, 05:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xlrator

Frank Yankovick and The Yanks - Greatest Hits!!!

"I don't wan't her, you can have her., she's too fat for me, Hey!"

Plus!-
"The Pennsylvania Polka"
Listen to cKy!

Mark Hammer

I've got a Homer & Jethro album, a Mighty Mouse Album, and a Lone Ranger single, but I think Frank and the Yanks trumps that. :)

Nasse

:roll: Just remember some relative´s two kids just under 10 years visited my home last summer and I had one old vinyl LP driftin on the living room table.  :shock: THEY HAD NEVER EVER SEEN SUCH A THING :shock: . I played a short track for them, they were amused and impressed. But I like more cd´s, but that is because I have ever owned a good recco player :wink:
  • SUPPORTER

Luke

Mr Hammer,
thats a very depressing picture you painted of your self- an ill child, conserving his batteries to hear a favorite song. I hope you got to hear it. Obviously you DID recover from your illness though! :wink:
Luke

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Just remembered the first record ever bought--"Purple People Eater"  by Sheb Wooley.
Brian.

Arn C.

I just remembered the first two Albums I bought:

Humble Pie  "Smokin'"
and
J. Geils Band  "Live Full House"

Of course we had a ton of 45's  before I bought my first two LP's  and I had a cousin and uncle living with our family on our dairy farm during vietnam as so they wouldn't have to go there.  They had all the cool stuff from the 50's and early to mid 60's.

Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Luke,

You don't know the half of it.  That little Mitsubishi radio (which took me most of a summer picking strawberries for the government to pay for but served me well for 5 years until my kid sister wrecked it) eventually got junked and cannibalized for parts.  Thirty-five years later, though, the 2SB172's it contained created fuzz havoc!!   :twisted:

Bear in mind that pop radio in the mid to late 1960's was VERY different than now:

1) it was generally restricted to AM radio
2) it was generally restricted to a very defined and narrow playlist
3) it was generally restricted to a few select hours of the day

The waiting I described was not because I was poor or desperate, but because we HAD to wait, and because the interval between playings of a given song were entirely predictable.

Doug H

Quote from: Arn C.I just remembered the first two Albums I bought:

Humble Pie  "Smokin'"
and
J. Geils Band  "Live Full House"

Peace!
Arn C.

First record I owned was Disney's "Savage Sam". First -musical- record I owned was "Meet the Beatles", a gift for my 7th birthday. First LP record I bought was "Green River" by CCR. (Had some 45's before that but don't remember which one was first.)

Doug

squidsquad

I'll take a warped, scratched record over a CD every time.  Magic & Voo-Doo in the grooves.  For me...a CDs are only good for one thing:  a long ride in a car.  PS & OT...always relish Brian W's posts....mental soulmates?

object88

Quote from: sirkutI still purchase vinyl, even some new releases (mostly noise), strangely there are a nice demand for rare noise records. Genocide Organ for example, 7" acetate can rack over $300.

Ah!  I have GO's "Remember" on vinyl.  I think I've played the whole thing... once.  :P  Why?  Vinyls are too damned cumbersome... 95% of my listening time is at work or in the car, and there's no record player there.  I picked up Brighter Death Now's "May All Be Dead" twice: the first time on vinyl because I wanted it to hear it, the second time on CD so I could listen to it.  I stopped buying vinyl a while ago.

Regarding the difference between the CD, vinyl, and digital expirience... I chalk it all up to the playback device and original recording quality.  I have plenty of music that I just can't listen to in the car, because the car stereo doesn't properly play back low frequencies.  And everything sounds ten times better through my professional-grade Mackie monitors in the studio.  For a while, I had a decent home stereo system-- Cambridge Soundworks speakers, Carver amp, Thorens turntable, Carvin (?) reciever and CD player; by no means audiophile but perhaps a cut above your typical setup-- and while I didn't have any of the same albums on both vinyl and CD, I never thought to myself, 'Gee, I wish this was on some other medium, it would just sound better!'.

Crappy systems will make any medium sound bad.  And I think that a lot of modern systems are, well, crappy.  Seems to me, and I'm only guessing, that people who purchase vinyl are more likely to have a good system to play it back on.  But that's just a guess.

jayp5150

We have a half-price books around here, and I randomly go in there and buy good-condition albums for $1.95-$4.95 (although, if it's a rare album, it's usually as much as the CD!).

I'm in the same boat as Mark, I have a non-functioning phonograph--and besides that, my receiver I bought a few years ago doesn't have a phono input--slight oversight on my part.

Guess I'll have to buy a new table with a pre in it, huh?  :)

vanhansen

Heck yeah I still listen to vinyl.  I love the warm analog sound of it.  Very natural sounding.  One of my favorites is the first Van Halen album.  Just can't get used to it on CD.  I have to hear the crackles and pops in there.   :D
Erik

ryangobie

i buy pretty much exclusively vinyl...infact i have an LP being pressed at the plant right now...
weeee

Paul Marossy

There's some obscure stuff that I grew up listening to and it can only be found on vinyl. I have seen some remastered stuff on CD of some of these obscure things, but they don't sound as good to my ear as the original pressings...

KORGULL

I resisted the CD as long as possible - finally had to give in around 1990-91 when new releases on vinyl really got scarce.
Never really embraced CDs, but I've done what was necessary to feed my habit during these dark times.
Always hated (pre-recorded) cassettes and never bought more than 10-20 of them. They're cool to record on though.
I am seeing a resurgence in vinyl popularity. More stores are stocking it, labels are pressing it. I can find alot of new releases on it again :D  and aside from that I can buy tons of "abandoned" records at the thrift shop down the road for $.50 each. The place is a goldmine. I don't buy many CDs anymore. Besides enjoying the music I just like collecting and I think vinyl is way more collectable than CDs. To me vinyl is like Gibson or Fender guitars, CDs are like picks and cables.
WARNING......... Soapbox alert......WARNING
I think CDs would be nicer if they switched them all to cardboard packaging so they were more like small record albums. The plastic case is junky and breaks when you drop it.
I never got into the multi-CD changers either - I like to get up when a recording is over and put it away and pick out something else. I might not still want to hear something two or three hours after I loaded it into a changer. A little bit of quiet time between records can be nice too.
I think the record industry pushed CDs as if they were the second coming and tried to do away with vinyl mostly for their own benefit (big surprise).
They tell the people what's best and what to like and the people eat it right up. I'm sure they are working on "our new favorite format"... I bet it'll be cheaper for them to manufacture than the previous one.
I remember when CDs first came out and were said to be the ultimate in sound quality/hi-fidelity, far surpassing anything that came before. Now it is readily admitted that many CD pressings/masterings of older classic recordings are seriously flawed. How many times have they re-mastered Dark Side of The Moon for CD now? Probably like half a dozen or more. Each time being presented as an improvement over the previous and "perfect."
Buyer beware :wink:
It's always best to get something (paintings/recordings etc...) that is as close to the original as possible.

Peter Snow

I still have nearly all of my vinyl collection plus quite a few recent additions from a local used CD-LP-DVD-VHS store here in town (Turning Point on Bank St - do you know it Mark?).  They sell them for between 50c to $5 depending on condition (mostly good).  

My oldest LP is also my first, given to me for a 10th or 11th birthday - The Shadows first album circa 1959 (OK, OK, I'm 56 years old :? ).  I have most of the Beatles albums including the White album with all the art work intact, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, John Martyn, Pink Floyd, Cream & Clapton, The Who, Dusty Springfield, Hollies, Mindbenders, Tremeloes, Moody Blues, Leslie Duncan, Nick Drake, Steeleye Span, Vangelis, JM Jarre, etc, etc.

The cheeziest vinyl album?  It's gotta be Anne Murray's "There's a Hippo in my Bath tub". I bought it for the kids when they were very young,  but they didn't like it either!

My turntable is still in operating order but I haven't actually played an LP for several years. The last time I did, I think it was the Sutherland Brothers Lifeboat album I got at the used store.  As far as I remember it sounded great through my ancient KEF 104ab speakers.

I also have several old SQ quadraphonic albums but I have not played those for years. I must dust off my old quadraphonic amp and try them one of these days.  But it hardly seems worthwhile when you can buy SACD or AudioDVD's with surround sound now.

BTW, because of age, diminished high frequency hearing and screaming tinnitus in one ear, MP3s are just fine for me.

Peter

PS: My latest CD purchase was Frank Marino's double Live! CD.  That guy ROCKS! He does a great version of Crossroads.
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.

squidsquad

And let's not forget...one reason the recording industry is half dead....digital allowed perfect copys and file sharing.  Twas a bad idea...but you know what they say about *hindsight*.

jrc4558

All my Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Yes, Deep Purple, ELO, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull and all that stuff on vinyl. All my Pantera, Rammstein and Soundgarden are on CD. :) It's natural.

col

Most of my early punk stuff from the 70s is on vinyl and will never be released on CD. Our record player recently broke and we couln't find one in any shop nearby so we had to buy a complete music system from a car boot sale to enable us to carry on playing them. Unfortunately....the CD has broken on that so we now have to play our CDs on a small portable player which sounds crap! You can still release stuff on vinyl but most people don't seem to have the ability to play it anymore.
I also have a huge VHS video collection and some shops in the UK have now stopped selling video recorders/players and gone over completely to DVD. It is also very difficult to get certein films on tape anymore.
I think the differnce in sound between record and CD is debatable. I have CD's that sound much better than the records they replaced as they have been remastered. The difference between video tape and DVDs is definate though.
Col

Johan

..I like the convenience of CD's but the problem is that a lot of the music I like never made the transision when the format changed from Vinyl to CD. . there is SO much music out there that gets lost when technology makes a jump and I think its a bit of a shame, so yes, I do listen a lot to vinyl...by the way...anyone got a copy of Art Blakey's "Cubop" (from -57 ) ?  Subo Martinez's percussion playing on that album is just magic...

Johan
DON'T PANIC