MXR Envelope Filter NOS Circuit Boards

Started by Scott Swartz, February 05, 2004, 01:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Swartz

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702418195

A reasonable deal for a board and other info required.

BTW not my auction, but I did buy one.

keninverse

Hah!!!
yous read my mind.  you posted this about 5 seconds before I was going to post it...too funny.

aron

$6 shipping for the 48 states!

What a deal, let's see, a circuit board, 2 or 3 pieces of paper.

hmmm....

jsleep

Aron said:
QuoteWhat a deal, let's see, a circuit board, 2 or 3 pieces of paper.

Yes, I'm starting to see a lot more gouging on shipping on ebay.  Sad, but I don't think I'll ever bid on anything again that doesn't at least specifically list the shipping cost like these guys did.

$21.00 is a lot of money to pay for a blank board of this small size and complexity.  I just bought one though, I want the factory papers :lol:   I'll post the info when I get them so you all can see what they are.  

I bought the populated Phase 100 board from them, which I thought was a good deal even with the shipping gouge.  They seem like a great seller, other that the somewhat overpriced shipping charges.  I'll post the factory papers for the p100 when I get a chance too.

I think I'm going to pass on the modded Analog Delay board.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Aron, would you be happier if it was $20 for the board and $1 shipping, instead of $15 for the board and $6 shipping? 8)

Peter Snowberg

This is one of my all-time favorite pedals. A great build for anybody who likes filter effects! :D

I know that etching and drilling that board would take me far more than $21 in time and materials. This is also a good test of how much stuff you can get into a 1590B. Build it "thin" and it will fit even with 24mm pots.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

B Tremblay

http://tonepad.com offers a PCB as well, for $17 and $2 S/H.  Not only less expensive, but "keeps it in the family."
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Scott Swartz

I agree with Peter about the cost in time of etching your own board as comparing to paying $21.

JD makes boards for some of my PCB designs, and if someone else had posted a design for for say a PT-80 - like delay that had the features I want, I definitely would have just bought the darn thing.

I don't want to think about how many hours (definitely more than 20 maybe as much as 50) went into the PT-80 board (similar numbers on the other boards), and now anyone that can come up with $20 (the same price I paid last night to see Cowboy Mouth) can have the board for the time it takes to send a letter or email.

Buying boards at GGG or Tonepad or this ebay auction or wherever for $20 is the deal of the century IMO.  The person who makes out the worst on DIY boards is possibly the designer (hey - thats me!), or likely tied for last place is the manufacturer (JD can't be be getting rich at these prices making them by hand).

Similar to software, you pay $49 to get Paintshop on a 5 cent CD in a 37 cent box, of course you are actually paying for the intellectual content.

The above is not a rant, just opinions from someone who has experienced the full range of the DIY PCB experience, from designing boards for new pedals from scratch to taking 30 seconds to buy a premade board on ebay.

Mark Hammer

I've made and owned about half a dozen Envelope Filters over the years.  The original kept my interest alive but the modded version offers a much broader palette.  Although it is possible to accomplish the mods on the original board AND have the whole damn thing fit in a 1590B (tightly), it is tricky and requiring of some skill.  The other thing to bear in mind is that the original was laid out under certain assumptions about the kinds of caps one would be using and their ability to lie flat on their sides.

Consequently, it fitting it into a 1590B or similar chassis is important to you, then by all means consider the advantages of this layout/board.  If the sweep, range, and Q mods are of more interest to you than the chassis dimensions, and if you have strong preferences for caps that do not sit well in that layout, then another layout such as Franciscop Pena's "A-Gua" may work out better for you.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Yeah we got the boars!

~Fp

ps: I agree with everybody :D
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

petemoore

Fairly dense perf job...Can't tell if it's the wrong LED LDR [or vactrol deal] or just something wrong with it...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.