Somewhat OT - Audiophile KNOBS!!!

Started by KarbonHed, February 07, 2004, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarbonHed

Click here to behold $485 knobs :shock: and the associated audiophile bullshit that goes with them  :roll:

Sic

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

KarbonHed

Quote from: Jason StoutI think they believe that shit!!

That is certainly the impression you get isn't it.

Time to borrow my dad's lathe and make me some "good vibration" knobs!!!

spongebob

Audiophiles... :roll:

Funniest thing I've ever seen was a Hi-Fi magazine comparing expensive digital audio coax cables and commenting on the increased clarity and improved soundstage of the really expensive ones... How a certain cable can improve the content of a binary encoded signal is beyond me ! :lol:

blabj

mmmm... if had had that kind of money i wouldnt be spendin' it on knobs...  :lol: but honestly, that is a "SLIGHT" rip off, any one in their right mind would make one instead!
peace!
callum
Callum
www.By-Default.co.uk :D

bobbletrox

Samuel

Ha! Also, include with your order the $50 electrolytic capacitor! AND don't forget the $1600 audio transformer! As soon as it ships I'll post my build report for the $1635 tycobrahe octavia. I might still undercut some vintage sellers.

Samuel

Oh, and if you guys thought J Everman's "The Pot" was pricey, BEHOLD! THE SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR (yes completely passive!) VOLUME CONTROL:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SLVR_RCK_SGNTR&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=1

BillyJ

......I make this hat. It is long white and pointed at the top. Sit on a stool in a the corner and twiddle your thumbs... you won't belive how incredible everything will sound!!
It is called the Ecnud!

bobbletrox

Quote from: SamuelOh, and if you guys thought J Everman's "The Pot" was pricey, BEHOLD! THE SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR (yes completely passive!) VOLUME CONTROL:

You must refer to Pots only as Potentiometers when they crack the $5,000 mark.

Wait 'till you see "The Potentiometer" pedal!

bobbletrox

They've even got Audiophile caps & resistors.

I wonder what a pedal using those Black Gate caps and "Precision Power Film" radial resistors would sound like?  Probably the same as one using Ratshack parts...but at least you could charge $1,000 for it!

Samuel

Quote from: bobbletroxThey've even got Audiophile caps & resistors.

I wonder what a pedal using those Black Gate caps and "Precision Power Film" radial resistors would sound like?  Probably the same as one using Ratshack parts...but at least you could charge $1,000 for it!

Well, you could ask for $1000...

Jered

I want to believe its a joke webpage, poking fun at audiophiles?
Are there really people who will pay over a grand for three feet of RCA cable?
 Jered

Jason Stout

My friend, it's not just any rca cable. They use cotton.

QuoteUnbleached, natural cotton dielectric which achieves unique natural, smooth and dynamic sound

surely you see, it's the cotton, that makes all the difference.
Jason Stout

bobbletrox

And to think all this time I haven't been using cotton.

bobbletrox

whoa, you can buy plain cotton sleeves off them for as little as $2.50 for 9ft!

Nasse

:) Very many thanx for the link, very well-written bullshit in so many pages, I might even consider to archive several best ones for further use. If I start my Boutique Limited Edition pedal business some day, this kind of background material will be handy for advertising and owner´s manuals. I specially liked the opamp module rewiev, and some list of bad-sounding opamps must be of interest for readers of this site.

The "Rock-solid" amp section "MDF-Granito" case (with those special knobs) gives inspiration for amp-diy ers too. With little imagination you can make a lookalike of a very expensive amp. Of course it is not sound alike

:oops: PS (Edited) I do not want to say honest hardworking professional pedalmakers are involved any means with this kind of thick and heavy bullshit but if I can fool some jerks that have too much money that can´t hurt anybody :roll:
  • SUPPORTER

KarbonHed

Quote from: JeredI want to believe its a joke webpage, poking fun at audiophiles?

That was my first guess too.

QuoteAre there really people who will pay over a grand for three feet of RCA cable?

Oh yes  :?

Quote from: Nasse...very well-written bullshit in so many pages, I might even consider to archive several best ones for further use. If I start my Boutique Limited Edition pedal business some day, this kind of background material will be handy for advertising and owner´s manuals...

I was thinking along those lines too  :twisted: