Somewhat OT - Audiophile KNOBS!!!

Started by KarbonHed, February 07, 2004, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sic

Imagine trying to convince your wife you need to spend a grand on a cotton cable... You'd get smacked.

Lets say what they are claiming has some grounds... would it still be worth that kind of money?

i paid $650 for my car... i couldn't even by a cotton cable for what i bought my car for...

its an 88 plymouth sundance in case anyone cares =/

jimmy

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

what is the go with some people. i swear that should be illegal. mind you, im sure they could bribe the cops with a $20,000 speaker. schmick. or not.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RAM&Category_Code=SPEAKERS

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. Ansil, pymouths rock.
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

KarbonHed

Quote from: jimmywhat is the go with some people. i swear that should be illegal. mind you, im sure they could bribe the cops with a $20,000 speaker. schmick. or not.

Especially as the speakers seem to create power where none is originally present, and  I quote...

...the dynamic punch in Norah Jones' tracks are just amazing...

I'm in the wrong job. I should knock out ugly shit like that, hype it up and sell it at stupid prices. I could retire at 40.

Once somebody has paid for this shite would they have the nerve to admit they had spent the money on something useless and aesthetically bad once they got it home? Hell no, they'd be even more determined to say that it was sonic nirvana to save face. Until somebody else had more better hype to lure them with.

And if they did complain you could always sell them a handcrafted potentiometer box with wooden knobs to "improve" the sound out of all recognition. And if that failed sell them some cotton cables. And if that failed sell them some...

Nasse

This one is absolutely brilliant:

"You will notice that the sound will change rapidly during the first weeks. It will be settled after about 10 weeks, with a tendency to improve even after months and years. Hence the long term quality will be superb."

:roll:
  • SUPPORTER

Peter Snowberg

Audiophools!

I don't know what I find more offensive.... people willing to scam others, or people stupid enough to fall for that.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

KarbonHed

Quote from: NasseThis one is absolutely brilliant:

"You will notice that the sound will change rapidly during the first weeks. It will be settled after about 10 weeks, with a tendency to improve even after months and years. Hence the long term quality will be superb."

:roll:

In other words... the shit you paid way over the odds for will age and decay just the same as the normal stuff costing 1/20th to 1/1000th of the price   :lol:

Kilby

Quote from: SamuelOh, and if you guys thought J Everman's "The Pot" was pricey, BEHOLD! THE SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLAR (yes completely passive!) VOLUME CONTROL:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SLVR_RCK_SGNTR&Category_Code=VOLUME&Product_Count=1

Hey you guys missed replacing the Oak for Mahogany $960

I thing there may be a 70 year delivery delay as they must be growing a tree especially for you at that price.

Don't tell Gibsom about that price for mahogany as theyre already too expensive.

Rob...

smoguzbenjamin

Does that cost 20 grand and 6 years to develop? My ass! :D This website is just plain funny. It shows how willing people are to believe something and then call themselves experts.

My girlfriend (she's an amateur artist) was talking about this yesterday. So-called upper-class people looking at art and then pretending to be experts. Someone looked at one of her paintings once in an exposition and took the liberty of making up a story to go with the painting, and telling this to my girlfriend. No harm in that but this so-called art-expert was talking total crap. :?

QuoteSilver Rocks cannot be returned or exchanged for any reason so please make sure it fits in your system by trying a demo unit. Processing may take up to 4 weeks when items are not in stock and a 50% down payment applies.
Translation: "I'm covering my ass so when people find out that they bought total bullshit they can't do anything! HA!"

Come on :roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Bill_F

Quote from: Jason StoutMy friend, it's not just any rca cable. They use cotton.

QuoteUnbleached, natural cotton dielectric which achieves unique natural, smooth and dynamic sound

surely you see, it's the cotton, that makes all the difference.

Wait a minute! My underwear is made out of cotton... I'll see you later!

As he runs off to wrap all his stompboxes in his underwear, excited about the new sonic possibilities...

smoguzbenjamin

I wonder how I'm going to explain to my mom that wrapping cotton boxershorts around guitar cables makes them sound better :roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

bwanasonic

Hey these Quantum Purifiers work great on my toaster! My toast comes out a wonderful brown color, and one can detect subtle notes of yeast and flour in the flavor.  And only $85!

Seems Audiophoolishness is closely related to New Age Hooey and Alternative Medicine  nonsense.  www.randi.org regularly features wacky (and usually expensive) gadgets that claim to do things like purify the electrcity in your home, but are really just $200 extension cords.

Kerry M

Hal

that picture that smoguzbenjamin posted....they don't even use shielded wire!  I bet that thing sounds like crap hahahaha

downweverything

see you laugh, but in reality you should be crying, as this guy is prob eating lobster stuffed with prime rib in the back seat of his lexus while his chaufer drives him to the bank, laughing all the way. :D

Peter Snowberg

My integrity isn't for sale. :D

-Peter

Jason Stout

I am pretty ignorant when it comes to wirewound resistors, but can anyone think of ANY reason to make a wirewound resistor from silver?

I can't but I am curious if there is any theory backing them up. They are also winding transformers with silver wire...what gives? my bullshit detector is beginning to hurt :evil:
Jason Stout

Hal

silver is an excellent conductor....so making a resistor out of it has excellent audio qualities, do to its low resistance!

HAHA it _is_ stupid.  

transformers with silver wire at least make _some_ sence...less waste to heat I guess.

bobbletrox

Quote from: Halthat picture that smoguzbenjamin posted....they don't even use shielded wire!

Look at the crappy workmanship on the lower right hand joint.  The box is only made out of cheap MDF too.  I wonder how THAT effects the tone?  :roll:

Bill_F

Quote from: bobbletrox
Quote from: Halthat picture that smoguzbenjamin posted....they don't even use shielded wire!

Look at the crappy workmanship on the lower right hand joint.  The box is only made out of cheap MDF too.  I wonder how THAT effects the tone?  :roll:

Maybe MDF is closer to the qualities of cotton than real wood. Obviously cotton = MOJO  :mrgreen:

Peter Snowberg

The amorphous matrix presented by MDF construction helps to reduce the inherent resonances commonly presented by thick cellulose laminates in their natural biological state.

Actually.... that is somewhat true. It doesn't change that the pic is showing a $50 crossover, sloppily repackaged. :(

-Peter

RDV

They(audiophools) should be tied up in a concrete room and forced to listen to 'Bachman/Turner Overdrive 8-Tracks for eternity. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Buah ah ah ah ah ah.....

Beelzebub