Started by KarbonHed, February 07, 2004, 05:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

casey

here is a VERY interesting read for us "dumb" Americans who
still believe in the Genesis account......   :D

http://www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/survivalOfTheFakest.pdf
Casey Campbell

smoguzbenjamin

Wow. I'm gonna make my teachers read that whenever I think they're talking bull. ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

casey

yeah, that's just the tip of the iceberg.  just think, all of those scientists
who claim to only believe that which is based on empiracle evidence,
and yet for years have believed so much based on faith in fraud like
the speckled moths and and the embryonic research that has now been
proven to have been staged.   :roll:
Casey Campbell

Mark Hammer

If you knew how textbooks were produced, you'd quickly realize that the types of fudged information the writer makes so much of are typical of all textbooks, even those that have absolutely nothing to do with anything related to evolution or religion.  One would hope that something which ends up being so divisive and contentious would be a little more seamless and defensible, but in general the errors pointed out are no more problematic than the error-riddled map of the human cortex which showed up in textbook after textbook for decades, and no more fabricated than Sir Cyril Burt's statistical "evidence" of the heritability of intelligence that became the basis for much of the streaming system we saw in schools for decades.  There are more pernicious things than a moth stuck to a tree trunk.

Textbooks (much like magazine articles!) are produced under duress and tight timelines.  My own experience being involved in one is that more attention is paid, and more resources devoted, to verifying legal permission to use secondary sources than to their veracity or accuracy.  This occurs largely because texts are quite often written during an individual academic's sabbatical year, and need to be finished up in time to send sample copies out to profs and school boards so they have enough lead time to order them in to the bookstore or book repository for distribution at the start of the next semester.  The attention to permission over accuracy, in my view, occurs because there is a potentially great deal of money to be made via a best-seller (consider how many math or biology texts are bought by the New York or California school system each year, or how many introductory Sociology texts you'd sell if your book was adopted by *just* Ohio State and University of Michigan), so those who feel their own work stands to make someone else money will come after you with lawyers in tow at the drop of a hat.  Factual errors, on the other hand, are the sort of thing you can always fix in the next edition....should there be one.

I wouldn't make too much of the author's points with respect to the debate it purports to address.  I *would* however, be far more concerned with what it reflects about the relationship between profit-making, career-making, and educational materials of any sort.

All that being said, the OT/BS forum at Ampage is the home for the evolution/creation debate amongst musicians.  Better to move this thread over there.

bwanasonic

Quote from: caseyhere is a VERY interesting read for us "dumb" Americans who
still believe in the Genesis account......   :D

http://www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/survivalOfTheFakest.pdf

http://www.txscience.org/files/discovery.htm

http://skepdic.com/creation.html

Kerry M

casey

interesting response, except that the fraud involved is not just
cited by textbooks, but have been major cornerstones in which
many evolutionists have based their faith.

not here to argue dude.....we could cite all kinds of
internet finds to support our belief system....
like this one:

http://www.discovery.org/scripts/viewDB/filesDB-download.php?id=29

or talk about how the THEORY of evolution cannot coincide
with the 2nd LAW of thermaldynamics...etc...
or how according to scientific thought, everything began
with a singularity.  define singularity and anyone can see
that the "science" of evolution is faith based as well.

but it would doubtfully benefit the real core issue to
tackle any of these thoughts and to argue about how it
all began.
the real issue is not if evolution or creation is the
truth, the real issue is whether there is a supreme
being out there, and if so what is our relationship to Him.

according to Christianity, Jesus came to draw men through
his sacrifice on the cross and resurrection from the dead.
all for one purpose...relationship with God.
that is the core issue.

much love sir,
casey
Casey Campbell

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: caseythe real issue is not if evolution or creation is the
truth, the real issue is whether there is a supreme
being out there, and if so what is our relationship to Him.
I think that's well said, with the exception of the obvious gender bias inclusion.

My take? Spirituality is essential, philosophy is essential, but religion is evil. There is no need for a supreme being, and at the same time science falls far short of explaining everything. Science only explains that which IS demonstrably consistent.

I will say I have yet to meet a Christian on the street who can tell me what flora the term Christ refers to the use of. Translations beget as much fraud as textbook publishing for profit does.

Quote from: Mark HammerAll that being said, the OT/BS forum at Ampage is the home for the evolution/creation debate amongst musicians.  Better to move this thread over there.
Ahmen. (a term of Zoroastrian origin.... don't get me started.... ;))

This forum is about audio and I request that any additional discussion of this topic should go elsewhere as Brother Mark suggests. Please feel free to keep going on this via PMs, but let us take the forum back to the arena from which it came.

*** Thank you. ***

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Jason Stout

Jason Stout

BillyJ

Brett Wrote:
Quoteand around 25% believe in telepathy

....I knew he would write that  :lol:

javacody

I'm wondering if Australians don't have telepathy like we Americans do? Why do they think we won WWII? It sure wasn't our superior tanks (thats for sure!). IT was telepathy! LOL

Adam Shame

HA!  I know what is up with that page... if you notice, the area code is (909).  Now, if you are from Southern California like I am,  you will know that "the 909" is like the goddamned backwoods of the Ozarks.  Full of mullets,  huge mirrored sunglasses, methamphetamine, late 70's Camaros (aka Meth Sleds) and the like.  I guess if you have fried your brain on crank,  you will believe some crappy knobs that anyone can make on a lathe are worth almost $500.
Q: What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?

A: My Ass

jimmy

"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust