New Effect: Vanishing Point

Started by The Tone God, February 09, 2004, 01:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tone God

I have posted my first public effect at the site. Its a sequencer-like filter called Vanishing Point. PCB, layout, schematic, and an article explaining how it works are available.

The Tone God's Domain

Enjoy.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

Very nice job Andrew! 8) 8) 8)

I really like how you detailed each section and "pattern" mode looks very cool indeed.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

aron

Luke

That looks really great man!
Congats on your fine work!
Luke

bioroids

Eramos tan pobres!

gez

Thanks!  I look forward to reading through it all.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

mattv

Marcos - Munky

Cool!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Jay Doyle

toneless

That's great!!!I was looking for a  sequencer after reading a few articles  at geofex.com...
You can use them to control everything, from a simple wah-wah sequence to a complex sounding phaser,filter...

Keep on!
Nick

moosapotamus

Wicked cool, Andrew! Thanks for the great write-up, too.

So... you've built it? How's it sound? Clips? :mrgreen:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

axr

awesome and thanks for let us try this, one quick ??? is the pcb layout ready to transfer it or it is in the copper side?? thanks.

The Tone God

To All: Thanks for all the kind words

QuoteYou can use them to control everything, from a simple wah-wah sequence to a complex sounding phaser,filter...

Exactly. You may even notice that some of the board is laid out to allow you to easily add some of the mods I mention at the end of the article including making it a tremolo, phaser, external controller, and a few other things.

Quote from: moosapotamusSo... you've built it? How's it sound? Clips?

Yes I have built it so I can confirm that the PCB works. I won't release any effects without testing it. Its sounds pretty cool and I'm not really a filter fan. It can give an almost synthy effect. I'm still working on doing samples but they won't happen for awhile.

Quoteis the pcb layout ready to transfer it or it is in the copper side??

The PCB when you load it is as if you were looking at the board part side up so its transfer ready of your using toner/PNP/etc methods. There is some text on the copper that will read correctly when you flip the board around to solder.

I will also point out that the board is narrow enough to fit inside a 1590BB (1590B ?) if you layout the box long side horizontal. You should have enough room for jacks, switches, batteries, etc.

Thanks again folks.

Andrew

uncle boko

This is clearly a piece of brilliance - one for my breadboard without a doubt, but in all honesty I don't understand what the hell it's all about and I would wager a hatfull of guineas against all of the songs you can sing that very few of the fuzz boxers on this site can either......am I right?
better to be in bad taste than to taste bad

Mark Hammer

First, nice work, particularly on the documentation.  You join the ranks of Jack, RG, and Scott in terms of thoroughness and explanation.

Second, those interested in this effect should take a peek at the Quad Sequential Switch article from POLYPHONY that I posted way back (http://hammer.ampage.org).  I mention this not to diss the VP design.  Rather, between the excellent analysis provided by Andrew, and the content of the QSS article, folks can start thinking up interesting variations of their own.  One obvious one is to have not just the centre frequency change over time but the resonance as well.  Further, these two parameters have no requirement to change in sync with each other (although they certainly *could*).   Hard to beat a Z-Vex Seek-Wah for compactness, but as Roger Linn and others have shown, the possibilities for sequencer-based filtering, are pretty much endless.....and as Martha would say "That's a good thing".

The Tone God

Quote from: Mark HammerFirst, nice work, particularly on the documentation.  You join the ranks of Jack, RG, and Scott in terms of thoroughness and explanation.

Wow! Thats quite a compliment. I consider it an honor to be compared to those names. Seeing others enjoy the efforts makes all the work worth it. Thank you very much indeed.

I take absoultely no offense in having comparissions and other suggestions made. I whole heartly encourge others to play with the circuit and have fun with it. Hopefully some ideas will spring out that others can share.

Once again thank you all for the encouragement. Its just makes me want to post more stuff. It also reflects on the great community we are privilaged to have here. Never take it for granted.

Andrew