My first pedal... the Cap'N!

Started by kdawg, February 12, 2004, 07:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdawg

I gotta thank everyone here for all the great build tips! I finished my first pedal, a TS-9 clone w/selectable diode configurations and distortion/bass boost switch. It came out great, sounds awesome. I did a PCB design, Millenium 2 bypass.

I tried out the Avery dark t-shirt transfer, cool stuff. My friend helped design the graphics which layed out amazingly accurate. I started off by sanding the box, applied 1 coat of primer, and 2 coats of Rustoleum beige. For the top, I masked it off so it was bare metal for the t-shirt transfer. I left about 1/4" border of paint around the edges so the t-shirt transfer would overlap it. Ironed it on after a day of drying, then 3 coats of Eastwood Diamond Clear Coat.

My friend might start doing artwork for boxes if there is enough interest, something like $20-30 a design... he's an awesome artist.

Check it out:

-kdawg

aron

Alex C

Hey kdawg, excellent work!  What a great first build!  I've done 20-25, and I'm nowhere near that level of craftsmanship and professional look.  I'm in awe.  Well done!

Alex

toneless

That's awesome kdawg!!!
T-shirt transfer makes miracles...by the way the design looks very difficult to be done.
:idea: Perhaps someone can make a nice diystompboxes.com design and logo on a hammond (1590BB) box size so we will all have something common in our pedalboards!

Keep on

Kaiowas

"De quién era la piragua?!"

Kaiowas

Peter Snowberg

8)  :D  8) Wow!!!!! 8)  :D  8)  

Kdawg, that is an awesome looking pedal! I got a good laugh out of the control names too!

If that's your first pedal, I can't wait to see what #10 looks like!

Good show!

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

saros141

TOO COOL! You gotta email that pic to Quaker...

Sic

kdawg

thanks guys. I forgot to take a pic of the inside, it was a really tight fit but it worked. I bought 24mm pots first, then I realized that definitely wouldn't fit!

If you're drilling PCBs by hand - do yourself a favor and get a drill press from Harbor Freight - $50-60 and works great! I bought a little #4 vice from them too, perfect size for holding the PCB.

Anyone else try some other kind of clear coat? I wish the pedal had something a little thicker on it to protect the top from getting scratched.

Oh yea.. for any of you in the San Francisco area, please come and check out my band (JND) at the Elbo Room Friday night! I'll have the Cap'n there  8)

-kdawg
www.jnd.com

Marcos - Munky

Doug H

That looks fantastic!

Aron, I would like to nominate the t-shirt transfer thread for the isi forum:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?p=96597&highlight=#96597

Doug

BillyJ

Dude killer pedal and congrats on the elbo room. Tried like heck to get my bands good enough to get gigthere but never happened. Used to see Charlie Hunter there back before anyone knew who he was...Cool place.
Anyway aweseme looking pedal man!!!

Paul Marossy

Peter Snowberg

8)

I've "played" the Elbo Room twice as a lightshow person. I wish I could get to the City tonight.

Have a great show Kdawg!

Please be sure to post when you're playing out! There's a few of us Bay Area folks here. :)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

casey

dude, great looking pedal....keep up the great work!  8)
Casey Campbell

tonepoet

Excellent looking pedal!! Man, that is such a great piece of art and especially so for a first build. You are on to some good things, my friend! :D
Check out my SOUNDCLIPS
Open 24 hours a day!