Mixing 2 signals

Started by AllyP, August 28, 2003, 09:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllyP

How can I mix 2 signals in a circuit?  Can I just join the 2 wires together?

I want to have a mix of octave and clean in my circuit. I could use a pot but I dont need to control the wet/dry mix, just the levels of the 2 signals,

Thanks for your help,

AllyP

gez

You can often get away with using a passive set-up (pot or resistors) but for less headaches you're probably better off using a simple mixer (inverting op-amp job).  RG recently posted a nice design for a mixer over at Geofex.  Make sure the signals are in phase with each other too.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

AllyP

I cant seem to find it on the site :( do you have a link? Its all beginning to sound a bit more complicated than I thought....crap :?

gez

"Panning for fun"  is the article.  It's the second in the list.  

If you don't need something adjustable then you can feed both outputs to a inverting op-amp and use different input resistors (if necessary) to get the balance right.

Sometimes you can get away with connecting the outer lugs of a pot between the two outputs and then feed the signal from the wiper to your amp/whatever.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Marossy

You could build this circuit:
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer1.htm
It's a pretty easy build and you could modify it to suit your particular needs.