News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DC Jacks

Started by Sonny ReVerb, February 15, 2004, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny ReVerb

Hello All,

I use these DC jacks sold by Mouser and Smallbear (here) as I assume many of us do.

The problem is, they are the only component mounted from outside the box. I wire up my boxes before painting and then remove everything, paint, and re-install. The DC jacks are the only part I have to desolder and resolder to do this.

Has anyone had any luck with other types of DC jacks? I like some of the square types used on commercial boxes, but I'm not sure how you cut a nice square hole in the box. Most of the punches I've found are too big and a nibbler takes a big starting hole as well.

Sonny

gez

Wire up some connectors to it to make life easier?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

smoguzbenjamin

You could just settle for desoldering the wires of the DC jack. It's not that much work :roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Jered

smoguzbenjamin

Those aren't 2.1mm pins though :? Most FX use 2.1mm.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Ansil

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminThose aren't 2.1mm pins though :? Most FX use 2.1mm.

they make similar brands with 2.1 plugs i use a  similar brand as that and mine do in fact have 2.1 plugs

Jered

The original post was about having to unsolder the dc jack. That is why I mentioned "threaded from the outside" since that is what the post is about. Pin size depends on plug size. NTE sells these in 2.1
  Jered

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I have the same problem, but with led bezels. Any metal led bezels that insert from inside the box?

fernmeister

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I have the same problem, but with led bezels. Any metal led bezels that insert from inside the box?

I use the common LED bezels (from maplin) and they do thread out of the box.  However, I just grab the rubber that the LED mounts into to pull them back into the box, then unthread the bezel.