ToneBurner version Tobias Karlsson

Started by Hendrik1, February 15, 2004, 04:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendrik1

Anyone build this? listen to the 'Tobias Karlsson' soundsample at Tonepad, I think his version is absolute fantastic!

But, yes there is a question, when I came with my list at the shop the say looking at the diagram that the 'pots' where wrong:

what Log is must be Linear,
Linear must be Log.

I am starting to building it, any remarks about the ToneBurner would be welcome.

petemoore

I would like to take a look.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Quote from: petemooreI would like to take a look.

Regards

RDV

petemoore

I think it should work as drawn.  Has a couple unusual [to my  eye] twists...the way the volume is between the Bass and treble knobs.
 And the adjustable R between Q2's C and B.
 Looks pretty cool let me know how it goes !!!

Tobias Karlsson

Quote from: Hendrik1Anyone build this? listen to the 'Tobias Karlsson' soundsample at Tonepad, I think his version is absolute fantastic!

But, yes there is a question, when I came with my list at the shop the say looking at the diagram that the 'pots' where wrong:

what Log is must be Linear,
Linear must be Log.

I am starting to building it, any remarks about the ToneBurner would be welcome.

Thanks for your nice comment! I hope you're reffering to JD Sleeps General Gadget
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=99&op=page&SubMenu=

My demo isn't located at TonePad as far as I know :-)

However, I think that the "A" and "B" is the opposite around depending to the country!
Anyway, I took a look in the "ToneBurner bill of mateial text" and I think that if you don't look at the "A" and "B" and just go for what's between the "(" and ")" it will be correct.
I hope that make sense :-)

btw, the "1M B (linear)  (String)" is a trim so you don't have to think or linear or log. Or, just put in a 470k resistor instead :-)

Best Regards

Tobias Karlsson in Sweden
Tobias Karlsson

Hendrik1

Ah Tobias Karlsson the designer, good work, your right, I got the 'link' from Tonepad.

Details details but who did play the ToneBurner Sound sample!!!?

I shall be honest there goes no day around for the last monds that I'am not to find with my head between the two small computer boxes and listening to that perfect guitar playing !!!! I like to explain in words without becoming a wuffie but believe me I love it! (did I say that ?).

:)  :)

Hendrik1

It wasn't.... :oops:  there must other be guys that play as good as JH...

Tobias Karlsson

Quote from: Hendrik1Ah Tobias Karlsson the designer, good work, your right, I got the 'link' from Tonepad.

Details details but who did play the ToneBurner Sound sample!!!?

I shall be honest there goes no day around for the last monds that I'am not to find with my head between the two small computer boxes and listening to that perfect guitar playing !!!! I like to explain in words without becoming a wuffie but believe me I love it! (did I say that ?).

:)  :)

Thanks!

Yes, It's me playing on the soundsample.

Here's the deatails you asked for..
As I remeber it the setup was like this;

A maple strat straight in to the ToneBurner and then straight in to  Marshall Super Lead (-69 or -72, I've got two with cabs and I can't remember which it was, they don't sound the same) with 4x12 loaded with "greenbacks".

SM57 close up and AKG at distance straight in to the soundcard. Only thing done in the computer is adding reverb.

The ToneBurner was on all the time to demonstrate how it's acting to the volume knob on the guitar.

The volume to the amp was on 2 (not that loud) and no distortion was created in the amp. It sounds better when cranking the amp but it gets so damn loud.

It's fun playing Hendrix stuff :D

Tobias Karlsson

bobbletrox

That is some amazing playing  :shock:

Sweet sounding pedal too!

anders

I agree too,very nice playing Tobias.
can you tell what kind of transistors you are using in your  toneburner

best regards Anders

petemoore

What a sound !!! Also the minding of the notes is quite starque, the feeling is strong !!! Great Pick of a song...I'ts natural for a 'great player to develop 'Little Wing' like that...[with it's diverse dicotomy of chording, and 'mixed to pure' Rythm/lead sturctures] very fine interpretation, style, technique etc. !!!  It truly is a great clip!!

Arn C.

Tobias,

At GGG, it says
QuoteYou will need a good set of three germanium transistors for Q1, Q2 and Q3. Small Bear sells transistor sets for this unit.
Do you know what HFE these should be ?  
Are they matched set?

Thanks!
Arn C.

Triffid

I have heard that Q2 and Q3 should have Hfe's like a Fuzz Face (60 - 85, 120 - 140?), then Q1 could be 60 - 85 Hfe.  I think the trick is to use trim pots to bias the collectors.

Tobias Karlsson

Thanks again guys for your nice comments!

About the transistors,

I don't think that a ToneBender style of fuzz is as sensitive as a Fuzz Face.

I use whatever germanium I can find. Old radios etc.

Usually I have a bunch and then I use sockets swapping them in and out until I find a sound that I like. I'm listening to how the note fades, how well the "clean up" sounds behave, noise level, gain etc.
I don't measure anything but I'm sure it could be usefull if you don't want to swap transistors in and out.

Tobias Karlsson

Hendrik1

Hi Tobias,
Do you perhaps have a inside pic of your ToneBurner?, just curious to see.
TX

Tobias Karlsson

Quote from: Hendrik1Hi Tobias,
Do you perhaps have a inside pic of your ToneBurner?, just curious to see.
TX

I'm sorry, I don't have any pic of the inside, I don't even have the pedal anymore as I gave it to a friend.

I have similar with no pots, just on board trimpots but I guess that doesn't help you.

Tobias Karlsson

iiimonfire

Reviving this old thread, in the hopes that maybe someone here may have a sound sample of Tobias' mods (they don't seem to be up on Tonepad anymore), or a video demo of some sort (for some reason, I can only find the curiosity that maybe Tobias was on the Swedish "Dancing With the Stars" ;D).

Anyway, I'm considering building a 5-knob Tonebender and tweaking it out for my bass. Any leads would be much appreciated.
Enjoy the ride. --B. Hicks

iiimonfire

Me again. :)

I built this recently, and LOVE it on bass. One thing though—I'm not entirely sure what the "String" control does.

Tobias - could you possibly provide some explanation?
Enjoy the ride. --B. Hicks

bluebunny

Quote from: iiimonfire on July 04, 2018, 10:43:14 AM
Tobias - could you possibly provide some explanation?

Tobias last visited two years ago.   :(
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

aron

Yeah people don't know all of us were kicking butt before some of you were born 😂

Hi Tobias!!!!!!!