Email Notification Of Replies - Peter/Aron?

Started by Paul Marossy, February 18, 2004, 04:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarLord5000

I was referring to the onboard one.  However, both WOULD be nice.  :wink:
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

Paul Marossy

If you follow the link to the page that the designer of the on-board preamp created, it tells you all of the benefits of using a JFET preamp. On my page, I listed the things that I thought were the downside, which was only one thing: you can't put in a Strat unless you modify the body somehow, or you don't mind pulling off all of the strings, removing the 13 screws that hold on the pickguard, etc. to get to the battery to change it.

Other than that, it sounds good and is quite simple to build. I would recommend this preamp to anyone who is thinking about putting one in their guitar.

On the Audio Blender, I haven't used it too much, so I don't know the ins and outs of this one. I have heard from Aron (who built it) that it lacks headroom in certain situations. That might be able to be corrected by running it at a higher voltage, maybe 12 to 18 volts. I don't know if it would get noisy or not...

puretube

Paul Marossy

Well, since this just got bumped, I have been getting emails about responses to my posts about 75-80% of the time, at this forum. And then there are times when I get none.  :?

I belong to two other forums that use this exact same format/software, and they do the exact same thing, too. And I have them set to email a notification of replies as well. So, it must be something to do with the software itself, I guess...

zachary vex

the thing that bugs me is that the edit button has disappeared.  i always realize too late that i've spelled something in a wacky way.

Ry

Aron removed the edit button during the final hours of the '?' topic, shortly before it was deleted.  I won't go into details, but there is a reason it was removed.

Paul Marossy

It's always the few that abuse the system that screw up things for everyone else. Thanks a lot!  :evil:

Forums, email, etc. can be easily misinterpreted. There is no body language, tones, inflections, facial expressions, etc., etc. It's really easy to think someone is saying something that they don't really mean. Unless of course, it's just blatant _____ (fill in the blank). In which case, those people aren't worth getting upset at, or spending your time on.

I say if you post something and can't accept the consequences, then it's better not to post anything at all. Using the edit button to cover your tracks is just abusing the system. I can take it if I'm wrong, and I can admit it. I wish more people could do the same. Trying to "hide the evidence" just doesn't help anyone.

zachary vex

well, the solution isn't terribly logical.  i've been upset (as many of you have observed over the years) many times, and after posting something, thought better of it a moment later and edited or completely removed it.

by taking away the edit feature, more problems are created for people like me who realize as they see something in print that it needs to be re-thought and re-written.

i didn't understand what was going on in the "?" thread early on, so i just ignored it.  

the biggest problem i've had on my own forum lately is these russian 'bots' that sign up and post once each, one asking a question about some russian web service (a sex hotel or something) and another responding quickly that it's a great service indeed!  i get these things twice a week, typically, and they post from completely unreleated IPs.  i guess they must be spoofing somehow.

Alex C

Quote from: Paul MarossyIt's really easy to think someone is saying something that they don't really mean.
What are you trying to say? :evil:

:D Anyway, that's one of the biggest bumps I've seen.

Zach- I don't know how yours work, but on many forums when I've registered, there is a graphic with text that must be typed exactly as it appears.  There is usually a note beside it that says "this is to foil the bots."  I didn't think that kind of stuff really happened.  

I've heard of this hotel.  Tell me more... :)

Alpha579

its really a shame when other people spoil it for the rest (saying that, i hope im not an anoyance!)
Alex Fiddes

Paul Marossy

Quotewell, the solution isn't terribly logical. i've been upset (as many of you have observed over the years) many times, and after posting something, thought better of it a moment later and edited or completely removed it.

by taking away the edit feature, more problems are created for people like me who realize as they see something in print that it needs to be re-thought and re-written.

Well, I hear ya, but when we are talking, we can't use an "edit" button to take back something we said. We just have to live with it, and suffer the consequences, if there any. Hence the saying "think before you speak". I would take it one step farther, think before you write! That's all I'm trying to say, I guess.  8)

I DO use the edit feature, though, to correct bad grammar on occassion or to fix mispelled words. So, in that respect, I too am a little annoyed. But, maybe it's a good thing that the edit button is not available anymore. That way, you have to make sure of what you are writing. Once you click on "OK", it's written in stone...

puretube

Quote from: Paul Marossy... Once you click on "OK", it's written in stone...

...unless/-til the whole topic gets censored/deleted...

Paul Marossy