Simple Opamp based Overdrive

Started by Alpha579, February 18, 2004, 11:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpha579

Hey all,
i breadboarded a design of mine using a TLo72 chip, and my first reaction was 'wow, this is great!'. But then i realised it was hissing like hell, and when i tried to clean up from the volume on my guitar, it stayed distorted and turned muddy. Have any of you got solutions to these problems?

And second of all,  can any of you point me to the schematic of the stupid face? coz it sounds cool. Come to think of it, any schematics of any simple but good opamp OD's?

Thanx all,
Alex Fiddes

javacody

Alpha, this forum has a great search function up at the toop next to FAQ. It really works well. I searched for stupid box (I think thats what you are interested in?) and came up with the following link (which is a thread I started):

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=18744&highlight=stupid+box

Alpha579

Thanx Javacody! Didnt see that there  :oops:
Alex Fiddes

javacody

I'm glad I could help. I use it all the time, and when you are new to a forum, just getting the hang of posting can be overwhelming.  :D   That search function has been my best friend. These guys have talked about so much stuff over the years, it'll blow your mind.

petemoore

Check out the Links and Schematics, schematics 2.
 Distortion+ , More distorted than a TS, don't listen for noise if using a 741.
 Sonic Distortion
 Stupid Box, and I can't remem where, this one's PDEasy...
 Mockman, puts both sides of your dual to good use !
 Tube Reamer, nice TS type tone, pretty easy.
 The ones with the diodes over the OA on the schem are softer or OD sounding, the ones with the diodes after the OA clip harder.
 The Diodes, Opamp, and cap selection, will impart different tones from any of these.
  Root around and look for the big triangles GGG is a great source, and there are many others.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Runoff Groove, Tonefrenzy...check out the sound samples...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.