Box covering: How'd they do that?

Started by snorky, February 19, 2004, 07:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snorky

Newbie getting close to finishing an Octavia here.  I've read a bunch of posts about decals and transfers, but I can't figure out how you can do a seamless pattern like this:

http://www.3mspedals.com/tremulus/adriant1.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks much in advance! (this forum is incredibly useful and cool)

- Mark
Elephants are the new skulls.

Samuel

smoguzbenjamin

You could try the T-shirt transfer method. Do a forum search for 'T-shirt transfer' and see what you find ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

petemoore

Showing excellent results. IIRC Ansil started the "Dark T-shirt transfer" threads...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ansil

Quote from: petemooreShowing excellent results. IIRC Ansil started the "Dark T-shirt transfer" threads...

well i am assuming you mean since i have done so much fabric on boxes.. lol  i actually have never used the dark tshirt transfer stuff. but want tooo...  but i have used a dark tshirt  before..lol

thats a long link..
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cemaynard1134/album?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cemaynard1134/my_photos

http://geocities.com/austenfantanio/news.htm

heres the penguin love for davefx and the osiris prototype

Sic

Ansil, you can make your link shorter...

type this Pics
And it won't be as long =D

GuitarLord5000

The fabric stuff looks pretty darn cool.  How d'ya get it on the box?  Does it hold up well against gigging conditions?

(Sorry if this was already covered on another post.)
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

Ansil

Quote from: GuitarLord5000The fabric stuff looks pretty darn cool.  How d'ya get it on the box?  Does it hold up well against gigging conditions?

(Sorry if this was already covered on another post.)

thanks sic  i will try it i thought using the url button would help but not greatly.

GL5000 basically i have found out now that it is easier to use high quality doublesided tape that they use in printshops.. andi also glue this down the night before with the backign still onfor the fabric side.. i glue it to the box with regular high temp glue and clamp it with with a little jig i have for my custom boxes.  and then after a dry fitt for the fabric i apply it to the box cut the corners and such snip tuck and glue.

then i usually  apply some sort of sealer to the top of the fabric..  fiberglass resin works good aslong as you get the clear stuff.. cause you can sand it and buff it up after you are done..

epoxy works good too but i usually end up using a heat lamp to dry it. and you can buff and sand afterwards too..

a good hard spray on clear coat is what i generaly use unless it is a real fuzzy material like the cow pattern i use in which i generally leave it exposed so you have to brush it to get the lint off sometimes..

i have had one for two years that hasn't even come loose yet.  and i lug it around twice aweek to show people my work to get custom orders..  i have another that has been done for like a year and a half and ait is a little loose on top but you wouldnt' know it by looking at it.. but it was left all summer in a car without beign taken out for three months straight..  thats pretty good stuff IMO

btw if anyone needs some tape i have an extra roll of the stuff its like 7.50 at my local store.

GuitarLord5000

Hey, Thanx Ansil.  I'll have to try it out.  I'm always on the lookout for something a little different.  So far, I've ruined two boxes by trying to paint them.  It seems I dont have the knack for it.  Though, the top of one of the boxes came out really nice.  :wink:   I put one of my sons temporary tatoos on it and it looks pretty nifty!
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

brett

GuitarLord, you are a genius - TEMPORARY TATOOS !! Lotz of patterns and stuff, cheap, easy.....  Cool!  8)
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

GuitarLord5000

Yeah, I thought the temporary tatoos would be a cool, very cost effective addition to the box before clearcoating.  However, before using the tatoo idea, I would suggest trying it on something other that a valuable pedal box.  Put it on a painted metal surface and clearcoat it to make sure that the clearcoating process doesn't turn it into useless garbage.  When I get some more clearcoat, I'll give it a try.

My 2 cents worth.

gez

You can use an inkjet to make temporary tattoos.  Here's one link, I posted another last week:

http://www.ceramic-decals.co.uk/removable_tattoos.html
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

GuitarLord5000

Thats pretty cool gez!  I didnt catch your last post about the tatoos.  However, using an inkjet printer, is there any problems with ruining the ink on the tatoo medio by using water?  And how about fading issues over time?  Do they hold up well?

smoguzbenjamin

That's pretty darn smart! Now where can I get the paper for cheap?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

gez

Now I’ve gone and done it!  I’VE NEVER USED THIS STUFF!  

Here’s my ‘post’ from last week:

“I've always wondered if this stuff could work:

http://www.decalpaper.co.uk/tattoo_paper.html

You could have one pot called 'MOM' and another 'DAD', perhaps label the effect 'Born To Fuzz'?”

As you can see I’m not exactly an expert when it comes to this stuff, I was just mooting the possibility of using it for lettering.  Sorry if I gave the wrong impression!  :oops:

That aside I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.  If you read the instructions on how to use this stuff it says that it’s ‘water slide’ and suitable for inkjet as well as laser.  

If you try it (I've seen it in PC world in the UK) test it on some scrap metal first.  Best to test it with a coat of clear as well just to check that it's compatible.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

GuitarLord5000

Lol...I actually DID read the instructions.  I just find it hard to believe that the ink wouldnt run.  Maybe its just my cheesy cheapo printer, but when I print something, putting water on it (even days afterward) makes the ink run something horrible.  However, im thinking its possible that the tatoo media might prevent that.  Also, its possible that the tatoo media would prevent the fading that occurs with inkjet printing.  I'll have to give it a try and give you guys the results.  Im currently working on a line of pedals that I'll call "Vulgar Stomps".  Not for sale or anything...just my sick and twisted world perspective. :D

gez

Quote from: GuitarLord5000Im currently working on a line of pedals that I'll call "Vulgar Stomps".  Not for sale or anything...just my sick and twisted world perspective. :D

You might want to think twice about this as according to the instructions on that site I linked to "To Insure Quality and Safety:...You should choose attractive designs"

I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them, them might send a lynch mob if your graphics aren't up to par! :shock:

Jered

Ansil wrote:
 "basically i have found out now that it is easier to use high quality doublesided tape"

Ansil, just get some 3M spray glue, lightly coat both surfaces, let it tack up for one minute, then adhere. Get it right the first time because once you stick the fabric on the box you will never get it off without a grinder, sander, etc. I've tried four different kinds of spray glue and the 3M is the only I've tried so far that is permanent. Once you get the hang of it you can cover a box in about two minutes.
 WARNING: don't spray to much glue, just a light coat on the box and a light coat on the fabric is all it takes.
 Jered

GuitarLord5000

gez wrote: I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them, them might send a lynch mob if your graphics aren't up to par!

lol....Actually though, the graphics arent gonna be vulgar at all.  Just the names of the pedals.  Like, for example, Gus's NPN boost will be called the "Screaming Orgasm".  And the pedal names wont be all that vulgar either.  Just my own personal way to approach DIY stomps!

Hey, Jered....where can I find some of that 3M spray glue?

Jered

Hey, Jered....where can I find some of that 3M spray glue?

Any Home Depot should have it. They have the 77 and the 90, get the 90.
The stuff is incredibly strong.  Jered