TS completed!!

Started by 1wahfreak, February 20, 2004, 01:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wahfreak

I just finished off my tube screamer, it turned out really nice IMHO. I didn't know what else to call it, but the layout worked well so that some of the aluminum shows through the letters. The brushed aluminum doesn't really show in the pics but rest assured it looks cool under the black decal. It sounds... well, just like a tube screamer. One question I have is how do you secure the led to the pedal? I'm using one of those black plastic "keepers" but the led slips out if you press on it slightly from above. I was going to use hot glue to the inside to hold it together. Do they make a unit that actually screws together to secure the led?

http://www.geocities.com/mikebronecki/pedalpics.html

Paul Marossy

Very nice! Are you using those RadioShack "LED holders"? They suck. The real ones are supposed to have an internal ring that snaps over the insert so that the whole assembly stays in place. They do sell some panel mount kinds that have a chrome body. I used those on most of my effects.

Fret Wire

Nice work! That's a decal? Did you cut out the letters? Nice and neat electronics too! Clean wiring job. Is that a tonepad PCB?
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bobbletrox

That finish looks like glass.  Top job!  You could always use LED Bezels as an alternative to those rubber dealies.

1wahfreak

Actually I think I got the part number off of Fuzz Central and ordered it through Mouser. They do sort of snap into place but you really have to watch the dia. hole that you drill. Just a hair too big and it's toast!! Can I get the chrome "panel mount" ones from SB?
I cut out the letters with a "pattern cutter" at work. It's a perfect machine for taking Autoacd dxf or Adobe files and cutting them out. It's very precise and very accurate.

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Peter Snowberg

8) Cool!

That is a really sweet looking pedal, both inside and out!

Nice work!

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Exactopposite

did you make that board or did u buy it  like part of a kit or something? i'm planning on building one of those myself.

Doug H

Beautiful work!!

I use those plastic LED sockets and, as you say, they work fine if the hole is drilled just right. The hole on my axis fuzz is slightly large, so I'm going to put a dab of JB Weld on the inside to hold the socket in better. One day I'll get the chrome stuff, because it looks so nice.

Doug

smoguzbenjamin

I have a couple of metal LED holders and they look really cool 8)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

jimbob

Very impressive as well as professional looking!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

casey

really sweet job man....
Casey Campbell

1wahfreak

Thanks for the accolades guys. I'm not most technical guy when it comes to electronics so at least I can try and make them look good.  :D I used the layout from GGG and etched it myself, but FYI Exactopposite, they do sell pre-made boards at GGG too. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/index.php?%20option=displaypage&Itemid=154&op=page&SubMenu=
This is the 3rd pedal I made using Press & Peel it's worked perfectly each time. I can't see how it could get any easier. Now the hard question is what to make next. I think the Ross compressor would be a good choice, and then maybe a PT-80 and then maybe a Tube Driver, and then maybe a Univibe and then........

Transmogrifox

What did you use for the enclosure?  That acually looks relatively rugged, and I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Johan

when I've bought those led holders here in sweden, they've always come with a ring that goes on after the led and holds it all together, making sure the led stays where it should and holding the frame in place....

...nice work...

Johan
DON'T PANIC

1wahfreak

The enclosure is just a Hammond 1590BB. I actuallly like the EddyStone ones a little better. The corners have less of a radius that I like. Does anyone else have the problem of getting the back cover to fit nice while using the Switchcraft jacks with the black housing around them? I have to shim the jacks back so the bottom will fit right.
Johan, maybe I'm missing that black ring for the led. I didn't get any with the order. I hot glued it this morning and that seems to be working for now.